Author Topic: Pagoda Ashtray  (Read 9341 times)

zanone

Pagoda Ashtray
« on: January 08, 2008, 13:45:10 »
I found a NOS replacement ashtray on Ebay but I am going to try to cover my old ashtray in Parchment to match my interior when the material comes in from GAHH. If the cover looks good I will be selling the NOS ashtray, if not I'll sell the old one. Any tips on re-covering the ashtray will be helpful. Will move one into the For Sale category before going on Ebay so the forum will have a heads up.

images/ic
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 23:54:16 by zanone »

Douglas

Re: Pagoda Ashtray
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 13:59:30 »
Dennis,

I've recovered ashtrays before and if I had it to do over again, I would re-dye it instead and not disassemble it. It's not really made to be disassembled and, like so many parts these days, it's rather pricey.

A little masking tape and a brushstroke or two and you're done.

(Plus, when you change your mind and decide to re-do the interior in a year, you can re-dye it again.) [:p]

Douglas Kim
New York
USA
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 14:01:16 by Douglas »

zanone

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 14:10:44 »
Douglas, thanks for the advice but I did spray the old one with black interior vinyl spray and wasn't happy. When I get the material it should be easy for my upholstery shop to pad and recover the old ashtray with the new parchment material.I'd rather have the matching interior color and my car isn't nice enough to need this NOS ashtray.DZ
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 14:11:37 by zanone »

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 16:38:34 »
It's not a difficult process. That's not the issue. The metal is brittle and the clips tend to snap off when you undo them. I've done it twice now.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

franjo_66

• Silver
  • Australia, NSW, Point Piper
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 16:46:19 »
I'm after a NOS Ashtray (black), so if you decide to sell it please let me know !

Thanks & Rgds
Frank
1966 Black 230SL/RHD/Auto
Franjo

1965 230SL Black/Auto/RHD
2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
1983 BMW 735i
1986 560 SEC
1991 500SL
1982 Holden Statesman DeVille

zanone

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 18:03:30 »
Douglas, I was able to use a small screwdriver and needle nose pliers to carefully lift the three pressure pins holding the plate for the four pieces and they seem strong enough to bend down again without breaking when the new MB tex is in place. The old pad seems to be one piece so I may be able cover it with the new parchment.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 23:39:18 by zanone »

Paddy_Crow

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 08:37:28 »
The top is missing on mine. I've given up on finding a replacement. They seem to sell on eBay for $150 to $200.

I've thought about making a wood cover for it. Also thought about just plugging the hole in the console with a piece of wood. Probably the most extreme solution, I've considered making a custom console box without the ash tray.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch...

glcg123

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Canada, MB, Winnipeg
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 10:41:08 »
Were not all ashtrays supplied in black leather from the factory?

My 230SL has the acquamarine leather interior with the glove box lined in that colour, the trim on the hard top in acquamarine, and the tray in the centre arm rest is covered in acquamarine.
However the ahstray is in black leather. Is this normal? I guess all the seat belts were black so maybe MB thought this was acceptable.

George

1965 230SL - 4 speed

zanone

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 10:48:37 »
George, I think all of these remplacement ashtrays were made black and the original ones in cars matched the interiors. This is why I want to clean and cover my old black one with a piece of the parment MB Tex. As I said if that looks good I'll be selling this new replacement ashtray on Ebay. DZ

« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 11:20:10 by zanone »

Douglas

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 11:10:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by glcg123

Were not all ashtrays supplied in black leather from the factory?

My 230SL has the acquamarine leather interior with the glove box lined in that colour, the trim on the hard top in acquamarine, and the tray in the centre arm rest is covered in acquamarine.
However the ahstray is in black leather. Is this normal? I guess all the seat belts were black so maybe MB thought this was acceptable.

George

1965 230SL - 4 speed

George,

The earlier 230 SLs originally had black ashtrays and door pulls on the door panel. Run a search in the forums and you'll see we've covered this. I believe Achim quoted the definitive cut-off points for this production detail and he is always right on these matters, esp. when it comes to the earlier Pagodas.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

nick350

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 12:35:12 »
I'll be very happy to take this new one off your hands. Let me/us know what you'd like for it.

Paddy_Crow

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 12:55:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by nick350

I'll be very happy to take this new one off your hands. Let me/us know what you'd like for it.

LOL, ditto...

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch...

nick350

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 13:16:08 »
 :D

Douglas

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 20:17:07 »
Dennis,

I now realize that I made a joke about you changing interiors next year that made no sense—I confused you with our friend, Bob Possel!

Douglas Kim
New York
USA