Author Topic: Windshield top frame chrome removal  (Read 4181 times)

pauldridge

Windshield top frame chrome removal
« on: November 29, 2007, 19:36:55 »
I'm stuck... After much searching on the forum, I fail to find the answer to my question:  Trying to remove the long chrome strip on top of the windshield frame.. It is held in the rear by the rearview mirror bracket and visor brackets, as well as one additional screw.  However, after removing all of these, the entire strip doesn't want to come out... it seems to have some silicone or so sort of sealant underneath, but I am reluctant to force it and bend the piece.

My concern is that maybe there are some hold down screws on the FRONT side of the strip, hidden underneath the rubber windshield gasket?  Surely someone else has removed this strip and can give me some guidance?

Thanks
Phil

230SL, 59 Jag MK IX, 65 Stingray Roadster, 89 Carrera Cabriolet

RCS Coupe

Re: Windshield top frame chrome removal
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 07:13:12 »
Your concern is well founded. Having recently gone through all of that, the number one step in removing the chrome trim from around the windshield is: remove the windshield and gasket. There are tiny screws tucked up under the gasket holding the A-pillar and head rail trim strips to the frame. You will find some black sealant under the trim pieces and the trim stips fit the frame very snuggly (clamps and a soft face hammer will be needed to reinstall them.)

For the 230s and early 250s, a strip of interior trim material is glued to the windshield frame first and the chrome trim is fastened snuggly on top of that. Be aware of that if you are contemplating changing interior color (which I did.) It was noted while triming around the dash and windshield that none of the fabric pieces were die-cut, they were all hand sissor-cut and fitted!

I'll try and dig up some photos showing all of that complication.

Ray
(268)Green 250 Coupe

bpossel

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 07:33:37 »
Hi Phil,

I would agree with Ray.  You will need to remove the windshield and rubber in order to get at all of the screws.
Sorry, didnt take any photos of this when I recently removed mine.
I just remember there seemed to be lots of "layers" of chrome strips, lots of screws and yes, the very bottom pieces of the chrome had a glue-like glob on each upper corner of the windshield post.

Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

pauldridge

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 17:41:15 »
Thanks for the guidance... removed the windshield and then it was obvious.

I used one of those windshield cutting wire kits from Harbor Freight ($15)... really a piece of cake to safely remove the windshield by cutting out the old rubber... I'll definitely call on an expert to re-install after painting.

230SL, 59 Jag MK IX, 65 Stingray Roadster, 89 Carrera Cabriolet