Author Topic: electronic ignition  (Read 5670 times)

Ann

electronic ignition
« on: September 17, 2007, 13:55:38 »
After having an ongoing issue with burning out points and resultant chugging, nearly stalling *and* low idle problems, etc. decided I NEED an electronic ignition NOW.

According to the archives most of you prefer a Crane XR 70 (part#0231)v/s the Petronix due to idle control being better with the Crane. This sounds perfect. I have a 1970 Automatic 280 SL. I went to the Cranecam site and there are LOTS of parts #0231-(like ten or more) which to the novice owner like myself just confused the matter.
 Is there one I should order specifically, or just have my mechanic order it for me?
Any thoughts on this project, especially from those who have installed an electronic ignition and have lived with it for some time.

Thanks in advance. Your contribution makes my car *better*!

Ann

'70 Euro 280 SL silver
'06 BMW Z4 Montego Blue
'98 Jeep Gr.Cherokee (125K mi.)

jeffc280sl

Re: electronic ignition
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 15:47:54 »
You want the XR700.  The part number for our car is 700-0231.  The kit from Crane is a universal ignition system for 4,6 and 8 cylinder MB cars.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 16:41:38 »
Ann,

I've had both.  Neither gave me any kind of idle issue.  I run the Pertronix now.  My idle is smooth as silk at about 800 RPM.  Right Mr. Possel?  Isn't that so Ray Hays?

If I may make a suggestion--the cost of each is insignificant relative to your mechanics's time.  Both sets can be had for about $100 if you look.

The Pertronix is a considerably easier installation.  Therefore it makes sense to try that one first.  If it works, great. Leave it alone.  If not you can always try the Crane.

The naysayers state, "What are you going to do when you get stuck in the desert at 3AM and your electronic ignition goes out?"  Ask yourself where you drive, and whether or not you can afford to keep an extra set around.  $100 is pretty cheap insurance.  Murphy's law says IF you have a spare electronic ignition in your trunk, you'll never need it.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
President, International Stars Section
Mercedes-Benz Club of America
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

philmas

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • France, Ile-de-France, Le Raincy
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 05:15:26 »
Have you heard of 123 ignition ?http://www.123ignition.nl
This system replaces both the points and the advance system ,as well as your old ignitor.

Philippe from Paris
'71 280SL manual 4sp
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 05:15:52 by philmas »
Philippe from Paris
Euro '71 280SL manual 4sp

ami

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 05:53:30 »
this is true, I keep the spare wings, tyres, exhaust system, a complete door with window mechanism and a spare windshield in the trunk....just in case please.

I use 123 system in most of my cars. it is very good system.

quote:
Originally posted by mdsalemi

Ann,

I've had both.  Neither gave me any kind of idle issue.  I run the Pertronix now.  My idle is smooth as silk at about 800 RPM.  Right Mr. Possel?  Isn't that so Ray Hays?

If I may make a suggestion--the cost of each is insignificant relative to your mechanics's time.  Both sets can be had for about $100 if you look.

The Pertronix is a considerably easier installation.  Therefore it makes sense to try that one first.  If it works, great. Leave it alone.  If not you can always try the Crane.

The naysayers state, "What are you going to do when you get stuck in the desert at 3AM and your electronic ignition goes out?"  Ask yourself where you drive, and whether or not you can afford to keep an extra set around.  $100 is pretty cheap insurance.  Murphy's law says IF you have a spare electronic ignition in your trunk, you'll never need it.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL

cars including SL's

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 06:12:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by ami

this is true, I keep the spare wings, tyres, exhaust system, a complete door with window mechanism and a spare windshield in the trunk....just in case please.

I use 123 system in most of my cars. it is very good system.

Ami,

On the small island of Barbados, it would not surprise me if you keep these items around, as I suspect there is almost nothing in the way of spares "on island".  In your boot however, is a stretch... ;)  Spare ignition components are always in my toolbox.  If you run points, spare points, condenser, rotor and cap are in order.  If you run an electronic, well, then, that too!

Ann,

At the Pagoda University, Naj showed those who asked the 123 distributor.  It looked nice.  But, if your distributor is fine this might be a bit of overkill, and a simple electronic addition might be the way to go.  Ask your mechanic what he thinks of your distributor.  Is the shaft worn?  Pieces missing? If you plan on showing your car, of course this won't work either.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid