Author Topic: Sleeping Pagoda on the road again!  (Read 5183 times)

seixever

Sleeping Pagoda on the road again!
« on: September 03, 2007, 09:30:39 »
From this summer my new-old Pagoda is on the road again.
Here some photo of the first cosmetics works.
Inside and outside is strictly original, no screws turned or changed from 1979; only the engine had some problem, the fuel pump in particular, but with the help of the forum too I solved all... Thank you very much!

...BEFORE CLEANING

...AFTER

BEFORE CHROME CLEANING

AFTER

FIRST SOFT TOP OPENING (AFTER 28 years)

...RESULT

GENERAL VIEW

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Sleeping Pagoda on the road again!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 13:47:58 »
Can you provide some further details about how you went about the cleaning process. I believe there are a number of folks on the forum that would like to know more about what you did.

Thanks for sharing the photos! Great job.

Jonny B
1967 250SL Auto
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

seixever

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 16:50:51 »
I'm happy to help the forum's friends but I haven't made anything of particular so I haven't secrets to disclose!
The seats, door panels and dash were dirty but in good original conditions and so I have used the usual home products (leather polish), water and natural skin (mine too...).
The chromes were not so bad, but a rechroming process will be necessary in the future, and I used only a fine metallic net (iron wool) and chrome polish.
The soft top appears in good conditions but is dry: I will try to use some chemical softner to rehydrate it.
For the body this is all.
The engine was more problematic because the injection pumps (also the electric one) were faulted.
For the electric one has been enough a good cleaning but the mechanic pump is a real tragedy!
Nobody really know it, and when finally I found a good, old mechanic first of all we studied all the system for two months reading all we have found on Internet about this matter.
After a complete cleaning of the inner deposits the pistons finnally did their work but the main proplem was the inner cam, too much consumed because was not oil in the pump!
After a rebuilding of this particular and the regulation of the connecting rods with the data found in the forum I finally listened the Pagoda's engine for the first time one month ago!
Obviously, I changed all rubber hoses, fuel and brake pipes, water pump...
But the works are still in progress.

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 20:53:38 »
Congratulations on saving a beautiful car from the edge of despair.  Best of luck to you as your Pagoda journey continues.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe