Author Topic: Convertible top lid question.  (Read 2332 times)

dldubois

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
Convertible top lid question.
« on: April 26, 2007, 19:55:49 »
I'm in the process of reupholstering the top lid after getting my car painted.  Does anyone have a picture of the front edge when open?  Does the MB-tex just wrap over the front edge?  I can't remember and the metal edge backing the MB-tex ends before the front edge of the lid.

Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Corinth, TX
Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
Re: Convertible top lid question.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 06:38:59 »
Dana,
Yes the fabric is glued down and folded over the edge.  Then small clips that hold the two chrome horns go on to hold the fabric on and snug, then the chrome clip on.  Watch the clip orientation when taking them out of the chrome horns.  There is a long end and a short end.  If I remmy correctly, the long end is to the front of the car facing the seats and the short is facing the top storage compartment.
Hope this helps.
Walter
1967 220SL-diesel

dldubois

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 07:37:32 »
Walter:

I know most is folded under the edge and convered with a chrome piece and clipped.  What about the forward ends that are not covered with the chrome trim?  Is it just wrapped and glued over the forward edge at the ends?

Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Corinth, TX
Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 08:38:18 »
Dana,
Yes that is correct. I used clothesline pine or binder clips to hold the fabric till the glue dries.  Used 3M super glue, black colored comes in a large white with red coloring metal tube, like a toothpaste tube.
Be sure to use a razor blade to slit the tabs to allow the fabric to twist around the contours, do not show any of the slits on the visible part when the lid is closed.
Walter
1867 220SL-diesel