Author Topic: Olson sport/progressive springs?  (Read 17374 times)

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Re: Olson sport/progressive springs?
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2007, 11:01:09 »
The Koni Classics are the adjustable ones.  They have to be disconnected at one end to be adjusted.  The internal part of the center slide is notched like a screwdriver so you compress the shock all the way and turn it to feel it engage, the count the turns. It's continuously adjustable, so it's a feel.  I think the entire range is a little over three turns.  It isn't hard to do.  It's a one person job.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2007, 15:28:39 »
Danny,

I've just had my Koni (rear) shocks delivered and have had a play with them. Ray is spot on - they adjust over a range of 3 complete turns and the difference is pretty considerable across the range. I can get you the model number if you require. I will fit them this week and see how I get on. I also have a lop sided car. I will start with the shocks and go from there.

James
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2007, 22:38:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by harleydan

Nevertheless, I would not mind a firmer ride if I can get the look (a bit lower) and handling (better in turns and being more level upon braking/acceleration).
Danny,

Have you considered a larger (230SL version) front sway bar?

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

harleydan

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2007, 08:28:57 »
Rod...Yes, I have already installed the larger sway bar from a 230SL.  

James and Ray, please pass on the model number for the front and rear Koni shocks.  When you installed the Koni shocks, did it change the car's clearance?  When I had my front Bilsteins installed for some unkown reason, it changed the front clearance about 2-3 inches.  Does the Konis have the ability to change its quiescence installed height so as to affect clearance?  I wonder if there is a difference between the Konis and Bilsteins in that one exert more static pressure against the springs so as to affect clearance height more.

I read someplace that someone had installed a rear sway bar on their W113.  It is my belief that these cars normally does not have a rear sway bar, so does anybody have more details about this? ...Can it actually be done?  Where can one get a rear sway bar?   How did it change the car's handling characteristics?  How much did it cost?  What modifications, if any, would have to be done to the car?

Cheers,
Danny
1970 280SL

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2007, 13:02:31 »
Danny,

Koni rear shocks are KON80 - 1416. They cost me around $150 for the pair less shipping and tax, which is a pretty good price. I got them from the UK. Shipping to the US would be expensive given their weight. They are black and marked 'KONI CLASSIC;' - so no surprises there. Note that no one had them in stock. (I tried Germany and the UK). They had to be specially ordered from Koni in Holland, which took about 2 weeks. You may have more luck in the US.  

My mechanic said the new Bilsteins will change the ride height because of the way they are filled now a days. He said they will push the car up a little. The Koni's will not do this, which I why I am going to fit them. (I have Bilsteins on the front and will change them to Koni's when I have the money and when the important jobs are done; my rear shocks have both failed and I need them to pass the German TUV test before I can drive my car).

As I understand it, the koni's can only be adjusted for dampening, not height. I will fit them later this week and see whether I get any closer to sorting out my lop-sided issues. I'll post the results.

Hope that helps.

James
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2007, 14:12:19 »
www.Koni-na.com  Has a lot of info.

Koni North America.  Front Part #80-1415 Rear part #80-1416  $219 per pair and they ship in one day.  Expensive, but I'm very happy with their action.

I changed the springs at the same time as the shocks, but I don't believe they lift the car the way the gas-charged Bilsteins do.  The Konis do what shocks should and control the rapid movement of the suspension.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

al_lieffring

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2007, 08:54:34 »
quote:

I read someplace that someone had installed a rear sway bar on their W113.  It is my belief that these cars normally does not have a rear sway bar, so does anybody have more details about this? ...Can it actually be done?  Where can one get a rear sway bar?   How did it change the car's handling characteristics?  How much did it cost?  What modifications, if any, would have to be done to the car?

Cheers,
Danny
1970 280SL

The 300 series (109)sedans and (112)coupes had a rear sway bar installed as part of the air suspension system. I dont rember the details of how or where they attached to the frame and rear axle but with a little welding I imagine it could be installed on a pagoda axle.

Al

66 230sl
113-042-10-014715
904/396 blue, Ivory Tex
condition: not-as-rusty-as-before-bucket

harleydan

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2007, 19:45:59 »
I saw on ebay item number

advertised as W113 Koni Red shocks with the same part number as the Koni Classic/Black.  What is the difference between the Koni Red and Koni Black shocks (other than the color)?  Has anyone dealt with this particular seller?  Has anyone put the Reds on their car?

Thanks,
Danny
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 19:46:39 by harleydan »

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2007, 22:02:15 »
quote:

Has anyone put the Reds on their car?
Ask (via e-mail?) these Koni Red owners.  Search tool rules! :D
http://index.php?topic=4414
http://index.php?topic=4023
http://index.php?topic=3702 (Koni yellow)
http://index.php?topic=3625

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

harleydan

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2007, 07:54:53 »
James Howard,

Did you install the Koni shocks yet?  If you had, what were the results?

Thanks,
Danny
1970 280SL Euro silver manual

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2007, 12:43:27 »
Hi Danny,

Check out my posts in the current thread about replacing shocks. In short, I ended up replacing the rear shocks. The front ones when tested were near 90% functionality and I didn't want to throw money away when there's so much more to do.

The car has been driven very little because of the other other other work that needed doing. (It now refuses to start). However, I am happy with the Konis for now. I just can't give you a really useful view at this stage purely because I've not clocked up many miles.

I can add that they have really stiffened up the ride. I have them on a 50% setting and the car rolls far less. However, I may turn them back by one third. They are also a doddle to fit since they aren't pressurised.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I'd be very interested to see how you get on.

James
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL