Author Topic: Swapping left and right seats  (Read 2754 times)

n/a

Swapping left and right seats
« on: April 13, 2007, 05:56:01 »
I am making a judgement here that the prior owner of my car was on the larger side thus he crushed the drivers seat cushion in such a way that one falls towards the door. I soon develop a crick in my neck as I try and shift my weight around constantly trying to find  comfortable position while trying to leverage my hip against the door pad.

Complete interior restoration is a few years off but the passengers seat is much firmer so I am wondering can I just unbolt and swap the two?

If so, how is this done and what is the degree of difficulty.

thanks!

bpossel

Re: Swapping left and right seats
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 06:10:40 »
I would be very surprised if this would work.  The outside front part of the seats are rounded out.  The inside of the seats are straight and follow the straight line of the transmission hump.

I suggest that you pull the drivers seat out.  Remove the backrest (basically 2 large allen bolts).  With the bottom seat and backrest separated, flip the bottom seat over, remove the "hog clips", pull the seat cover off and restuff.  You can go to any fabric store and buy the seat stuffing material.

Now, if your springs are worn out, I cant help you here.... :oops:

Another option is to remove your seat and simply take it to an auto upholstery place and have them fix it the right way.  If your seat "skin" (vinyl, leather) is in good shape and all they need to do is re-stuff, my guess is it would cost less than $100 to fix.

:) Good Luck,
Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

Patrick

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 06:44:21 »
You can swap the seats. Not knowing any better when we purchased ours, discovered the seats were opposite [:0] after taking them out to replace the clutch slave cylinder and bushings in the shifter. Also discovered that the seat adjustment handles are also mounted on the wrong side of the seats [:(!]. Degree of difficulty comes from trying to remove the 2 bolts at the bottom back of the seat. Remove these first. You have to make sure the seat is in it's most forward position (towards dash). You will then see them. After removing these, adjust the seats all the way back (towards rear of car) and you will find the bolts at the front. They are much easier to get out. When you reinstall, make sure you do the back ones first. I now have to figure out how to take out the handles for seat adjustment and mount on the outside of the seats  :( .

n/a

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 11:24:02 »
thanks ALL!