Author Topic: New LED lights in dash instruments  (Read 8237 times)

batman

New LED lights in dash instruments
« on: August 12, 2015, 12:36:23 »
Re-installed speedo/tacho after both have been serviced, included new LED lights in both plus centre console. Went with "warm white" LED's. Could have gone with brighter LED's but decided that 2 x 5LED in speedo/tacho was too bright.

Now move on to re-installing air blower & ducts & remainder of dash items.

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
Re: New LED lights in dash instruments
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 12:54:40 »
They look good Mark.  Was out in my car on Sunday evening and the lighting is really bad.  I have the LED's but have been having trouble getting into the dash.  Will have another try in the next few weeks.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

batman

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 09:43:25 »
It is one of the hardest things I have done. I have small cuts and bruises all over my hands and up my forearms to prove it).

If I have to access again (without removing the full dash for, say, a respray), I will try Sticks removal of air-vent next to steering wheel method, although I cant quite visualise how to get a hand up and across to the back of the tacho (for RHD).

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 14:11:01 »
Mark,  Welcome to the "Red Badge of Courage" Dashboard society.

Mike
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

batman

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 03:46:02 »
Thanks Mike, there must be quite a few of us.

I would love to know how the factory workers on the Singlefingen production line did it.

Clearly they did not lie on their back in the footwell of the car adding each part behind the dashboard.

Initial installation would have been much easier than subsequent repair and but still, because the dash could not be built up separate from the car (because the dash is not a bolt-on) and then installed almost completed, they must have had a very well thought out and precise process.

batman

Comparison test of incandescent & LED lights in instruments
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 03:53:32 »
Taken with iPhone in my darkened garage from more or less the same position - a direct side by side photo comparison of the instruments pre & post LED installation for those wondering what the difference really looks like and whether it may be worth considering.

Old incandescents were not too bad (except the numbers), especially the centre instruments.

hauser

Re: Comparison test of incandescent & LED lights in instruments
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 04:42:26 »
Hi Mark

I would like to get this done to my car while it's taken apart.  Can you supply a bulb list?

Thanks

hauser

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 04:47:47 »
They look good Mark.  Was out in my car on Sunday evening and the lighting is really bad.  I have the LED's but have been having trouble getting into the dash.  Will have another try in the next few weeks.

Garry

I totally agree with Gary on this.  The stock lighting is horrendous!  I really like how you were able to balance out the light between the tach and speedo. Another one of those quirky things about our cars!

All I'll need now is a modern rheostat that actually works!

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 05:12:04 »
Hauser,
why can't you clean your rheostat?
I have posted this photo before to demonstrate the rheostat effect with LED bulbs installed. See here:
http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=19084.0
There is also a list of bulbs that you need.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 16:05:02 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

batman

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 10:21:29 »
Hi Alfred,

You may have answered this question before but your instrument lights seem to have quite a blueish glow - did you use a specific LED colour?

I used "warm white" LED's from superbrights.com.

In the speedo/tacho I used 1x 5LED & 1x 4LED (the second 5LED would not fit through the opening).

In the centre cluster I used as per the Tech Manual diagram BUT changed the 2W incandescent to 4W incandescent

Heater levers I left the 2x 2W incandescents.

For the under-dash cabin light I used a 4410-W1-CB White LED.

cheers

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 16:10:23 »
Hi Mark,
when I bought these LED 2 years ago there were no "warm white"available, only "cool white" (4-LED), so yes, they do have a little bit of a bluish tint.
But with a blue car it fits!  ;D
Alfred

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 16:29:40 »
This is a very helpful post. The pictures look great and I was really tempted to try this, until I read about the work involved. I think I'll leave it until I need to go in there. Elective surgery is not my thing!
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

hauser

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 03:09:54 »
Hauser,
why can't you clean your rheostat?
I have posted this photo before to demonstrate the rheostat effect with LED bulbs installed. See here:
http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=19084.0
There is also a list of bulbs that you need.

Hi Alfred.  I will pass this along to Herr Gernold.  Perhaps may call upon you for details?

batman

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 03:40:43 »
James, why not try the right side chrome air vent entry method used and recommended by Stick. According to him it allows "easy" & direct access to the tacho and then the other two instruments.

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 04:34:51 »
... why not try the right side chrome air vent entry method used and recommended by Stick. According to him it allows "easy" & direct access to the tacho and then the other two instruments.

Unless Stick can provide some proof in form of a video I seriously doubt that this is an easy method for several reasons.
1. Getting the vent plates off without breaking the pins off or the tab is not an easy job. Most attempt to do this after the instruments were removed already as described here:
http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=7690
The pins are inserted into "one-time use" clips (as Hans in Sweden calls them) that apparently are no longer available.

2. Lets assume Stick has an easy way to get these plates off (and later mount them securely again without the pins in the dash) he then has to remove the corrugated plastic tube on the defroster to get some space, reach around the tachometer to unscrew the knurled knob that holds the ground cable and puts tension on the clamp that keeps the instrument in place.  

I sure would like to see his hands and fingers to verify that they are human and not from an octopus!  ;D

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 04:47:26 by 66andBlue »
Alfred

batman

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 08:42:04 »
My thoughts as well but these hot air tubes just slide on & off the chrome very easily. Nevertheless, the amount of space is incredibly small.