Author Topic: MUST READ: SPAM  (Read 7014 times)

admin

• Administrator
  • Regular
  • USA, NY,
MUST READ: SPAM
« on: January 17, 2007, 04:19:44 »
Please read the following important message on keeping your e-mail address up to date...

Dear all,

at sl113.org we receive many bounced e-mail messages. The reasons for bounced e-mail messages are primarily:

• incorrect e-mail addresses  
  • ISP's with anti-spam measures that prevent us from mailing to you  
When we cannot reach you via e-mail (i.e your e-mail address bounces), we have no way of notifying you, reaching you or providing some of the functionality of the Pagoda SL Group.

A further note on antispam measures. Many ISP's (But Earthlink is a good example) prevent delivery of e-mails when the sender e-mail address is not in your address book, or listed somewhere as an acceptable e-mailer. We then receive a link toa web-page, where we need to enter a reason as to why we believe our e-mail should be delivered to you. In the past I used to fill these forms out, and then retransmitted the e-mail. We will stop doing so as of today. It is your own responsibility to ensure that you can receive mail from the Pagoda SL Group. Please ensure that the following e-mail addresses are listed as acceptable:

admin@sl113.org
membership@sl113.org

Other ISP's (notably AOL and Compuserve and affiliated brands) employ a mechanism called spam throttling. As you can imagine, we have many members that have an AOL or similar e-mail address. If we (i.e. anything from sl113.org) send too many messages to AOL which are undeliverable, within a certain time period, AOL will block all mail we send to all mail addresses, including the correct ones see http://postmaster.info.aol.com/guidelines/standards.html, the point "AOL may reject connections from servers whose recipient lists consistently generate a higher than 10% bounce failure rate. (i.e. over 10% of a sender's mailing list is destined for users that do not exist on our system)". This is what caused us to be more vigilant about dealing with incorrect e-mail addresses.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 11:07:16 by vanesp »