Author Topic: New member introductions  (Read 822606 times)

Mike.Urbans

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • Estonia, Tartu, Tõrvandi
Re: New member introductions
« Reply #1525 on: September 19, 2023, 07:28:38 »
New member here.

I've been lurking on the forums for few months now and only just made my first post in the technical forums, so best to make an introduction too.

I work as an engine and transmission technician in Estonia. Our company 'Urban's Garage' is known for it's high quality restoration work carried out on 356 and 911 Porsche cars.

Since I started here a few years ago we started doing 6 cylinder Porsche work and now we're doing 6 cylinder Mercedes engine work and restoration.

I started my career in engineering back home in England when I joined the Royal Navy. During that time and for years after I worked in maintenance and modification fighter jets, helicopters and airliners. I think my experience in the aircraft industry prepared me well for working on classic machinery. Quite a few of the Royal Navy's Harriers I worked on were first put together in the 70s!

I'd just like to say that these forums and technical archives are a fantastic source of information and knowledge. It makes my job much easier to have it all so readily available.

Cheers,

Mike

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #1526 on: September 19, 2023, 14:59:15 »
Welome Mike! And thanks for joining as a paying (=Full) member, helps pay the bills, says the Audit Committee member.
Estonia a country I have not yet had the pleasure to visit.
I take it you don't (yet) own your own Pagoda? Hopefully one day soon...
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Artkez

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Los Angeles
« Reply #1527 on: January 02, 2024, 04:53:49 »
Hello all, new member and new Pagoda owner. Have already gained a wealth of great information from the forum and have used it to perform some minor fixes. Most notably was fixing the switch so that my rear lights would engage. It drove me crazy but with the help of some key posts i was able to fix that and adjust the cable on the switch and get those lights working when i shift into reverse!

Attached is a pic of the proud moment. Also a picture of my 1969 euro 280sl. Signal red on parchment leather, a real beauty. This is a fun car i share with my dad in Los Angeles and Im sure Ill have a million more questions soon

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #1528 on: January 02, 2024, 12:00:37 »
Welcome Artkez!
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
« Reply #1529 on: January 02, 2024, 17:45:56 »
Welcome and, the car looks awesome! Ask away, good to see another LA dweller here.
Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #1530 on: January 03, 2024, 03:09:21 »
Artkez, Welcome, and Happy New Year!  Your car looks great, and I have to say one doesn't often see a nice intact tire change card in the boot these days.  Tell us more about your family Pagoda.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Artkez

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Los Angeles
« Reply #1531 on: January 03, 2024, 05:52:28 »
Thanks for the warm welcome Peter, Mike, and Cees.

My father and I just partnered up on this Pagoda (but I retained 51% ownership haha). A fun project for both of us, but turns out to not be as much of a project as we thought! looks like the second owner in San Diego did a full restoration about 8 years ago, all engine parts are in really great shape and everything was done really accurately and with high quality and it hasn't been driven much since. Paint is in amazing shape, the leather looks awesome, and all important trim pieces are present and in perfect shape. The engine and transmission appear to have been completely redone and all engine parts appear almost brand new.
The car was sold without any docs or invoices for the restored work.  The current selling owner  lost the docs and was sold  for under value because it appears that someone has done a good job in the restoration at least the paint ( I can judge) looks very nice

Most importantly she drives like a dream. Maybe runs a little rich? but definitely has some pep and the transmission shifts so smoothly. A big change from my 1969 250 sedan which I had restored and been driving the past 3 years.

Right off the bat I had concerns about the starter, it made a scary grinding noise at one point, but I have since not been able to replicate the issue, and it now starts right up cold or hot. I mentioned the issue with the tail light, which has since been solved. Couple of other really minor things. Some of the dash dials are a little foggy, there is a window rattle when I close the driver side door, and the light does not work on the automatic shift gate
Another concern is a lack of original keys (I have one for ignition and one for trunk, but not for gas cap or doors so I cant lock the car)

But enough of the problems, this past weekend for the first time I got to really enjoy it, top down on a sunny Sunday drive with my fiance, and I felt like all my dreams had finally come true. It is a wonderful driving experience, and also really turns some heads

I do want to have someone give it a really good mechanical once over before I feel comfortable going on any major rides.

Cees or other local members
Have  any good recommendations in Los Angeles that would be wonderful!

Thanks much. Steve
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 06:45:52 by Artkez »

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #1532 on: January 03, 2024, 15:45:17 »
Most importantly she drives like a dream. Maybe runs a little rich? but definitely has some pep and the transmission shifts so smoothly. A big change from my 1969 250 sedan which I had restored and been driving the past 3 years.

Right off the bat I had concerns about the starter, it made a scary grinding noise at one point, but I have since not been able to replicate the issue, and it now starts right up cold or hot. I mentioned the issue with the taillight, which has since been solved. Couple of other really minor things. Some of the dash dials are a little foggy, there is a window rattle when I close the driver side door, and the light does not work on the automatic shift gate.

Another concern is a lack of original keys (I have one for ignition and one for trunk, but not for gas cap or doors so I can't lock the car)
Steve,

Just start new threads in the corresponding sub-forums and we'll help you get all those little things sorted out.  Good to know you have ownership experience with Mercedes-Benz cars of the period!  You will enjoy this one, I'm sure.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #1533 on: January 03, 2024, 17:35:48 »
Steve,

Welcome to the group.

The grinding/gnashing noise you heard may be due to a worn spot on the flywheel. Over time the engine tends to stop in a spot and that spot gets more wear than the other teeth. When the starter is activated and the flywheel is in that spot the gears will not mesh and you get the scary sound. I get it every now and again, but never have on the next attempt (at least so far!).

We have a pretty active group here in San Diego, and will be holding our informal Pagodas and Beer gathering in April of this year. I will send you an invite with details as we get closer.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
« Reply #1534 on: January 04, 2024, 03:10:12 »
Sorry Steve, no recommendations for a local garage/mechanic. (My Pagoda lives in our other place in France ...)
Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Artkez

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Los Angeles
« Reply #1535 on: January 04, 2024, 07:26:00 »
Thanks Rodd,  I’ll go ahead and post a bunch of my questions in the different sub categories. I’m slowly getting used to the forum i’ll be in touch soon. Thanks, Arthur

Artkez

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Los Angeles
« Reply #1536 on: January 04, 2024, 07:32:40 »
Thank you Jonny.  I really appreciate the invite to the San Diego gathering. We would love to attend regarding the starter. I’ve been driving it now for about a week for about 30 minute trips and no problem with the grinding. so I’ll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks, Arthur.

Artkez

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Los Angeles
« Reply #1537 on: January 04, 2024, 07:38:13 »
Cees  thank you and no problem I’ll keep looking if you know any other owners in Los Angeles, please let me know.  Living in France with a pagoda and driving around the wine country sounds amazing.  Once we get the car under control and a little more confident with longer drives, I think going up the coast to the wine country. It would be really a nice drive for California.  We’ll talk soon. Thank you Arthur.

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
« Reply #1538 on: January 04, 2024, 14:00:16 »
Hello Steve, there's a members list, click on members, just below your log in button

The columns are sortable, so you can find other owners local to you, some may be inactive on the forum, but if you click on their name perhaps send some of them a message, you may get lucky

There's also a list of vendors/suppliers in the technical manual, again you may find someone local to you, as well as suppliers for parts etc

Just noticed, is it Steve or Arthur posting?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 14:05:56 by BobH »
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

Artkez

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Los Angeles
« Reply #1539 on: January 05, 2024, 06:14:26 »
Hello Steve, there's a members list, click on members, just below your log in button

The columns are sortable, so you can find other owners local to you, some may be inactive on the forum, but if you click on their name perhaps send some of them a message, you may get lucky

There's also a list of vendors/suppliers in the technical manual, again you may find someone local to you, as well as suppliers for parts etc

Just noticed, is it Steve or Arthur posting?

Hi Bob
Thank you for the info that sounds really good and a great guide to review

This is ,Arthur  posting, although my son, Steve is a partner of mine in our mutual pagoda. We just purchased a few weeks ago. Sorry for the confusion.  Ha ha you can probably tell who the older partner is based my lack of competence technological posting.

ehabs12

• Junior Level
  • USA, WA, Renton
« Reply #1540 on: January 12, 2024, 16:03:02 »
Just purchased my wife this Pagoda, really excited to see it in person in two weeks! This forum seems to be a wealth of information, which is what we will need to keep driving this beauty.
https://www.hagerty.com/marketplace/auction/5ubORAzazj3l5jLofhBJIO

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #1541 on: January 12, 2024, 16:44:31 »
ehabs12 - Welcome to the group!

You are in the right place to learn about the car. I scanned through the photos, looks like a nice unit.

Be prepared, as with any old car, there will be things you will want to fix, adjust, replace, etc. Get to know the car and proceed from there,

This is a group of people that want to help, and love to see another Pagoda in good hands.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Charles 230SL

• Gold
  • USA, GA, Griffin
  • 64 230SL
« Reply #1542 on: January 12, 2024, 17:45:38 »
Nice 230SL! welcome to the Group!

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #1543 on: January 12, 2024, 17:51:53 »
ehabs12, welcome to the group and congratulations on your purchase.  Your car is identical to mine. Same colour exterior (Papyrus white by the way) with blue hard top and hub caps, and charcoal carpet with blue MBtex.  Also German delivery.

Unless they were changed in the past you should check your rear brakes.  They are probably drum and not disc as the add states.  Discs were only on the fronts on 230SL's with drum on the rear.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

ehabs12

• Junior Level
  • USA, WA, Renton
« Reply #1544 on: January 13, 2024, 00:58:48 »
Thanks! yes I will check the brakes! will also do the basics of oil change, fuel filter, air filter, etc.

ehabs12

• Junior Level
  • USA, WA, Renton
« Reply #1545 on: January 13, 2024, 00:59:30 »
Thank you!

Starchild

• Junior Level
  • Lantana, Florida, USA
  • 1970 280SL 1988 560SL 1991 560SEL 1992 190E2.6
« Reply #1546 on: January 20, 2024, 05:18:49 »
Just became a new member so please excuse if this post ends up in the wrong spot. Hopefully I can easily find delete button if post ends up where it shouldn't.

Hi  Members,

Excited to be a part of the group and possibly participate in some of the upcoming events. My dream event would be to ship the car to Europe and be able attend a w113 meet up then take a drive through the Alps.

Have owned my American silver pagoda around 30 years or more. When I was a kid, an attorney in the community had one. It was dark grey with red interior and a red soft top. Thought that was the most beautiful car on the road and someday I said to myself I will own a Pagoda. Wanted that same color combo but had to settle for silver. My father, in 74 purchased a brand new 450SL. That was enough for me. After driving the R107, I never wanted to drive anything but a MB. One day my eye caught and ad in the Pittsburgh Sunday paper ( I was always searching the car ads for a pagoda)saw an ad for what was a pretty well cared for 1970 Pagoda in the late 1980's. Made and offer and drove it off the MB/RR dealer lot in Sewickley, Pa.  Was on cloud 9 and the car brings a smile to my face to this day every time I turn the key and go for a drive.

I am in South Florida for the winter months and have the car here with me this year. Missed hearing about the Palm Beach Concours and would have enjoyed attending the event even if I wouldn't have been able to enter the car. Did entered a MB in that event last year but  surprised of no notification of this years Concourse.

The car is scheduled to go to Pierre Hedary's shop in a month or so for a complete examination. It is getting difficult to find shops that have the special knowledge to maintain these cars. Have kept up the maintenance as best as I could with my local MB dealer who has worked on the car since its purchase. After reading through this site I am almost sure no one at the dealer now knows how to properly tune the car. Really looking forward to the return of the car after a visit with the good Dr. Hedary.

Happy Motoring

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
« Reply #1547 on: January 21, 2024, 01:24:17 »
Welcome to the group, Starchild. Nice ownership story!
Lantana is nice, I lived in Boca for many years.
Pierre Hedary is an excellent choice, your Pagoda will thank you!   :)
Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #1548 on: January 21, 2024, 05:59:14 »
Starched,

Hello and welcome.  Just curious, how did you find the Group, and what took you so long?
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

RT-rider

• Junior Level
  • Canada, Alberta, Calgary
« Reply #1549 on: January 21, 2024, 23:53:44 »
Hello all. Happy to be a new member. Hoping to buy my first pagoda within the next year. It will live in Palm Springs California. I would use it during the 5-6 months I am there every winter. I have enjoyed watching the pagoda auctions on Bring a Trailer.