W113 Pagoda SL Group > General Discussion

New member introductions

(1/316) > >>

Cees Klumper:
In order to give new members an easy opportunity to introduce themselves (if they feel so inclined) here's a place to do so. Tell us whatever you consider interesting !   :)

Please don't use this forum for discussions, please stick to new member introductions. Discussions can be started here:
http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?board=2.0

If you want to add yourself to our Pagoda Frapper map, you can do so on our this page:
http://www.sl113.org/services.html

peterm:
New member new owner, 1971 280 sl dark red.  Was parked next to this sites founder at this past weekends MBCA NY "show"  The site and Richard Madison are a tremendous resource.   I was infected with the pagoda bug after seeing a 280 at the Greenwich concours several years ago.  Took me all this time to find the right car.  Pics will be appended as soon as my antique digital camera can be linked to my much newer computer.  
Also daily drive a 2002 carrera c4s and converse with that group regularly.  Very different personalities between porschephiles vs mercedesophiles

dwilli3038:
Hello All,

Since this is a new club we are all new members. I think it would be good is all of us introduced ourselves. I am 55 years old and married with 4 children and 3 grandchildren. My three daughters are married and my son is still studying in Ohio. I live near Athens, GA for over 2 years now. I have had my Pogoda for a little more than a year. It is not yet running well, but with the help of some much advice from this site, I am sure it soon will run well.
I am an engineer by education and am director of Engineering for North America for a large Animal Phamaceutical company.

Daryl
'64 230 SL

Skitzerow:
I just purchased a 1968 280sl Red with matching hard top, and convertible option.  Love the car.  Kind of bought it for my wife because it had an automatic.  I also have a 1969 MGB in pristine shape.  What a difference to drive the two cars.  They both have their place in style and ride.  My wife is content to just have it. I am more content to work on it and drive it.

I made one mistake though taking it home.  I did not do a complete check of everything before I started to drive it.  Two things I found after driving it for about 90 miles.  I started to hear a little wind which became a little louder.  I checked the differential oil to find it only had a quart or less of oil in it.  But the rear end is really tight, hardly no free play. Not sure the whining sound is the differential itself, but may be a bearing amplifying itself through the casing.  If anyone has ideas on the fix for this let me know.  This was the second time this happened, because my MGB rear end was bone dry when I brought it home.  Had to put new shims in it.

The second item I found was the vacuum hose for the distributor was unhooked.  This one was a hard one to find because it was under the air intake. I don't know if this could of done much damage to the engine in the 100 miles or so I drove before I discovered it.  It just seemed like the engine was running rough.

The third thing I noticed was between 60-70 their is a distinct vibration, and then at 80 it smoothes out again.  Don't know if it is engine harmonics on a worn engine (112,000 miles) or it is the drive shaft system.

I have major air-conditioning work to do on the hoses.  Anyone know where to get the best replacement hose deals.  And advise on how to charge it up.

Finding the vacuum hose was the best thing. It really smooth out the excelleration.

Not sure how this engine is suppose to idle, but it is quite rough at idle, but smooths out as soon as I accelerate or cruise.

My personals.  I am a Industrial/Mechanical engineer working in Sales and Marketing.  Just turned 53.  Have a nice wife of 30 years.  One son 21 studying Art Education, and my daughter 20 is studying Fashion Merchandising and Business in New York.

Back to the car.  You know I have not seen a good front hood in thirty years.  Todays cars are so curved for aerodynamics you don't see the hood in fromt of you.  It just looks beautiful to see that long in front of you.

Mercedes did a great job using regular shocks on suspension.  The ride is as good today, or better than my other cars, and I don't have to deal with struts.

I was used to getting looks from people in the MGB.  Even had a guy follow me for ten miles last week just to take a closer look.

But the smiles you get when you drive the 280sl around is awesome.  I don't know if they are just looking at the car, or trying to figure out if I am a movie star, politician, or just wealthy.  Of course I am none of these.  Just an average guy that enjoys the best of automobiles.

SDK

n/a:
Hello, My name is John and I have just joined. I have purchased a  1971 280 sl with 38,000 original miles. I am a auctioneer here in the state of Maine.

john locke

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version