Author Topic: speedometer cable replacement problem  (Read 3367 times)

r.bartl

speedometer cable replacement problem
« on: March 08, 2006, 15:23:24 »
after having palo alto servicing my speedometer, I decided to replace my speedometer cable as well.
there is a very informative description how to do this here in the forum.
http://index.php?topic=2566,cable

i came almost to the end but have a problem to finish my job.

the single bolt what was holding my old cable had to go out, that I could remove the cable from the tranny.

now when I put in my new cable, i push it all the way to the end, as far as possible. I screw in again the bolt to secure the cable, but it is still loosen and comes out easily.

should I remove the rubber protection at the end of the cable?

please see my pictures and give me advise.

thank you!
roman

Download Attachment: old_cable.jpg
75.52 KB

Download Attachment: new_cable.jpg
78.92 KB

Download Attachment: new_cable_without_rubber.jpg
77.29 KB

230SL, 1967
ivory with chocolate brown top

A Dalton

Re: speedometer cable replacement problem
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 15:42:57 »
<<<should I remove the rubber protection at the end of the cable?>>

Remove the old rubber out of the tranny....

r.bartl

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 15:47:06 »
you think, that there was  the same rubber on the old cable on as well?
it is not possible to look into the tranny hole, but if something is in, I will try to get it out with a sharp tool.
can I damage something inside?

quote:
Originally posted by A Dalton

<<<should I remove the rubber protection at the end of the cable?>>

Remove the old rubber out of the tranny....

230SL, 1967
ivory with chocolate brown top

A Dalton

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 15:54:12 »
The rubber is the seal for the speedo shaft.. the old one is most likely just stuck in the hole , so I would try a hook type tool .. you want the new seal to go back in that hole with the new cable...
The old seal is holding the cable from going all the way in..so the cross bolt will not hold .
..I am assuming, of course, so take a good look with the above in mind................................

George Des

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 09:03:35 »
Whatever you do, don't overtighten that bolt that holds the cable end to the transmission rear cover. While the attaching area looks like a clamp fitting, it is very easy to fracture it by overtigthening. What holds the cable in is the bolt riding through the groove on the cable end. I have the 5 speed ZF transmission and someone in the past got a little overzealous in tightening this bolt and caused the area to break which led to other problems e.g seal leaking. Fortunately I was able to repair it with some fiberglass cloth saturated in JB Weld--not ideal, but it holds and does not leak anymore. I've talked to several others including Gernold who have seen this especially on the ZF rear covers which are eesentially the same setup in this regard as the MB std transmissions.

George Des