Author Topic: Urgent question regarding seat belt installation  (Read 5910 times)

Eryck

Urgent question regarding seat belt installation
« on: October 27, 2005, 04:22:38 »
I have read many threads on seat belts already but have not found the answer yet.  This is kind of urgent because my car is at the garage and they are waiting for instructions from me.  

The garage found two mounting spots (holes) - one on the B-pillar as seen the various photos that people have posted.  The other one on the center console has also been identified.  

Question - the garage has not been able to find the hole on the floor.  Should this one also be pre-drilled already or do we need to drill the hole ourselves?  My mechanic is being cautious because he realizes that it's a safety issue so he just wanted to make sure.  Any advice will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

1965 230 SL White Manual
Hong Kong

LFrank

Re: Urgent question regarding seat belt installation
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 11:05:21 »
On my 1965 230 SL, the holes were pre-drilled, and I installed (lap) belts.

LFrank
Washington DC
65 230 sl - auto
DB334/Hellblau

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 12:00:04 »
A UK company that sells 3 point belts says one bracket needs to be welded in.
I've not got here yet.  :oops:
naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 12:16:40 »
Eryck,

If you have the holes you've mentioned, I feel sure that you'll have the ones in the floor, too.  My early '66 did.  However, if I remember correctly, they had plastic(?) plugs in them to keep the elements out, so it wasn't obvious that they were holes.  Look for anything in the floor just behind the driver's seat; if it's the plugs I remember, they can be unscrewed to reveal the seatbelt bolt hole threads.

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL

P.S.  I did not need to do any welding - they just bolted in.  I've never been sure what the welding issue was; maybe earlier cars?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 12:18:27 by DavidAPease »
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

tdun824259

• Regular
  • USA, NE, Grand Island
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 15:03:55 »
Eryck,

I recently purchased 3 points seat belts.  The 3 point system from Mercedes required some welding, I believe some members of this forum can provide you with the details.  Not all 3 point belts do.  I purchased my belts from SL Service in Germany and they can be bolted in to the existing holes behind the B-Pillar as well as the hole in the transmission tunnel.  However, behind the seat you may have to drill if your vehicle has never had 3 point belts.  If you do a search you will find some nice pictures showing you the approximate location of these holes behind the seats.  The belt spool can be hidden nicely under the partial shelf.  Post some pics if you do this project.
Good Luck
Tim Dunagan
1971 280 SL

n/a

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 16:00:48 »
Eryck
I have seen two different mounting systems for seat belts on the 113 cars.  On my 65 there is a mountiing point on the B pillar as you noted and there are two mounting points in the floorboads.  There is one near each of the rear seat mounts.  On a 250 SL I own the B pillar mount is in the same place but the lower mounting points have been moved to the transmission tunnel and the outer frame rail.  If you have the floorboard mounting holes you should be able to see the reinforcing plates and the holes from the under side of the car.  The holes would be predrilled.  

good luck

Iverson

Eryck

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 20:59:56 »
Thank you all. My mechanic is continuing to look for the hole but still no luck. Slight problem. I found the following on pagoda113.com

http://pagoda113.com/groupee_files/attachments/8/5/7/857107195/857107195_interior_belts.jpg?ts=4360FED8&key=8EFF4B72773A3C3B3FEB582CA37EB9D7&referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fpagoda113.com%2Fgroupee%2Fforums%2Fa%2Fga%2Ful%2F850103507%2Finterior_belts.jpg

Most of the pics I have seen show the hole on the floor board but this one shows it on the vertical wall. Any ideas???

1965 230 SL White Manual
Hong Kong

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 14:51:54 »
Hello Eryck,

Sorry again.
Usually, 250 and 280 owners just can't know that. Early 230ies don't have the 3rd hole. I am quite sure it was factory installed later i.e. on '66 cars or so. Maybe this took place together with the great interior change on 230ies after serial 012466, but I am not absolutely sure. Not everything on our cars was changed then.
Anyway, you have to drill that third hole and weld in a bracket if you want a three point seat belt.
Before that date, the cars had just only shoulder belts - at least the European versions.

Best,

Achim
1964 230 with only 2 original attach points for belts
Achim
(Germany)

n/a

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 16:05:23 »
Question to Achim, I have a early '63 230SL, Body #312, that was delivered to Dealer in Italy & brought to US in 1970. I have not been able to locate the 2 holes for a lap belt installation. Did the real early ones not have any holes at all?
Regards, Paul

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 16:27:29 »
Hi Paul. I am obviously not Achim but I do not think mine (871) had the holes. I did have the guy who installed my seat kit and carpet kit put lap belts in. I believe he just bolted them through the floor as best he could. From underneath, I can see the large locknuts and large washers. Not as safe as the 3-point type but better than nothing.

Download Attachment: mbbelts.jpg
36.06 KB

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Malc

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 17:27:18 »
Eryck,
My 65 230 has 3 point belts, though to be honest it looks like a combination of a seperate lap belt and a shoulder one. I am sure somebody here will know. I'll take some picturesbeware the car is a mess and awaiting some love and attention!!!
Malc

Eryck

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 10:13:25 »
Thanks a lot. Appreciate all your inputs. All I need to know is whether there are predrilled holes that I (and my mechanic) have missed. If I can confirm that there are no holes then I'll instruct my mechanic to drill the holes.  I just need to get to the bottom of it either way.  I'm sure you all understand.

1965 230 SL White Manual
Hong Kong

Eryck

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2005, 21:29:33 »
Thanks, Achim.  Your post seems to have settled the issue for me. I will go ahead and tell the mechanic to drill the holes properly.  Thanks again.

1965 230 SL White Manual
Hong Kong