W113 Pagoda SL Group > Drive train, fuel, suspension, steering & brakes

Replacing the rear axles after a rebuild…

(1/1)

OregonRuby230:
I read through as much of the suspension forum as I could but did not see my specific issue address, though I’m sure it has to have been a topic.

I am doing a ground up restoration and things are proceeding generally well. But I do tend to have to redo assemblies because I missed a label or a backup photo to reference. So this is my problem. When I put the rear end back together, I put the backing plates on the wrong sides. I realized this when the parking brake cables didn’t reach the swivel. Fast forward, ordered new paper gaskets, popped the bearings and swooped the plates. Long shaft left side I’m able to seat. Short shaft right side goes up to the outer race and I just can’t get it to engage the splines?????

Anyone have an idea of what I’m doing wrong??

As always, thank you for the support.
Kirk

afibbe:
I’m doing the same thing. I hate redoing things several times. One thing that will help get the axle to align with the splines is to get the swing arm parallel with the floor or straight across from the other axle.  Also I took a wire brush  and cleaned the splines on the axle shaft.  It seamed to help the alignment process because I put the axle seals in backwards two times and got good at installing the axle.

OregonRuby230:
Thanks. I figured getting the axle tubes parallel to the floor would help. Because the car is so light without the drivetrain the jack just lifts the body.

Cees Klumper:
Also putting a bit of grease on the splines should help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version