W113 Pagoda SL Group > Drive train, fuel, suspension, steering & brakes

Coolant under reservoir

(1/1)

dakman29:
Started my 68 280 for the first extended run after winter storage. After idling for a few minutes saw a small amount of coolant on the garage floor. Shut it down and noticed a small puddle of coolant under the reservoir next to the firewall. Next day I opened the radiator cap before starting again. Idled for a couple of minutes and replaced the cap. Brought it up to temperature and no coolant leaking anywhere. Any thoughts on the cause of the initial leak? 

TJMart:
You may want to check the small hose at the bottom of the reservoir tank. There are 2 hose clamps. Either hose needs replacing or clamps are loose.

Tony

Cees Klumper:
If you know the reservoir not to have been over-filled when you put it away for the winter, then I would thoroughly check this out, because there should not be a drop of coolant escaping the system.

dakman29:
Thanks very much for the replies. I can’t say that I’m certain that the system wasn’t overfull last Fall. But if that had been the problem I would have thought that the only coolant I would have seen would have been that discharged from the overflow line onto the floor. What caused me to doubt that was finding the small puddle next to the firewall. I’ve checked the hose clamps and will continue to monitor any other leaks. Thanks again

Pinder:
is your coolant filler cap in good shape? maybe its allowing overflow too soon?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version