W113 Pagoda SL Group > Drive train, fuel, suspension, steering & brakes

Renovation of clutch cylinders

(1/1)

lagolag:
The winter's project was to change to a 5-speed Getrag, which is now in place.
Refitted the slave cylinder and tried the clutch which felt good, until I fitted the return spring between the slave cylinder and the clutch arm, after it was fitted the master cylinder spring can't pull the clutch pedal up to its top position, haven't had any problems with my clutch before. Thought there must have been air in the system. Tried to bleed the clutch but it didn't go go that well, black fluid came out of the slave cylinder and it was difficult to get the fluid out so that new fresh could be added.

Removed both slave and master cylinder, bought renovation kit for both and followed Hans Ström's suggested method from the forum, it turned out that the air hole in the stock for the air nipple on the slave cylinder was completely clogged with hard black mass that had to be dissolved and cracked away before the piston with new seal lubricated with ATE grease could be reassembled, then it was easy to fill brake fluid with a small oil can via the slave cylinder, however without the return spring being mounted, thought that it can't make any difference and that the system is better filled when the slave cylinder piston is not fully depressed.
Then tried the clutch and it felt like normal and fitted the return spring and then the clutch stuck again in the down position just like before I rebuilt the cylinders, the master cylinder spring does not pull up the clutch pedal! Have filmed the movement and the slave cylinder pushes the clutch arm out the same way whether the spring is in place or not. Assume that the purpose of the spring is to ensure that there is no pressure on the release bearing so that it rests against and spins unnecessarily.

I can't bee the only one that have had this problem.
What is required to get clutch pedal to return to its top position again after pressing and releasing the clutch pedal?

lagolag:
Case solved, I had to use a longer push rod as I couldn't adjust the Standard one to correct length, now the clutch works as before the gearbox change. :)

antonio martinez:
good job

antonio martinez:
Good job :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version