Author Topic: Seeking 14x6 Aluminum Wheels  (Read 1683 times)

Jack the Knife

• Senior
  • USA, FL, Vero Beach
Seeking 14x6 Aluminum Wheels
« on: February 03, 2023, 22:46:53 »
You know the kind, the dish wheels, preferably ones that aren't too dinged up. Five would be nice for the spare. The 6" wheel has a white ring around the middle versus the 5.5" which has the four stripes. Shipping to Florida preferred but if in Florida I can drive to pick them up (so long as it isn't Pensacola or something).
1964 230SL
2015 G550 """Professional"""

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Jack the Knife

• Senior
  • USA, FL, Vero Beach
Re: Seeking 14x6 Aluminum Wheels
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 14:46:46 »
...and here is a set in Cocoa, FL, wherever that is...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255303782016?epid=1728527067&hash=item3b714a8e80:g:k78AAOSwGn5hhJj0&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsIRhCNSfuAX%2FYvQG79EMxQULr%2BQgzCmK7naYByvSIIuexcXw1IpOhwbjRX%2FsHXQqq%2FQKtr0xhR0hJtrMWezx8%2B9jCZV9CKtdsMukHZOf0BlV808dF7hCfjL0CKcbzNKci690eoFcHxaI97qeBnDFTGvzx1LHcxRYYpKlCgYTReAwSZGS3sNn28c08aE4vOC4ZiMFy5b%2FEd6dLPVPkSkWySHLXmP5h02eDGKWUXK4oinv%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR-7pv8nDYQ

A friend just sold a set for 1k back in November but I wasn’t looking then. Cocoa would be very convenient since that’s only an hour or so north and that seller is only interested in local pickup, but he’s a bit overpriced. And it shows since people are crazy for these but his have been for sale for at least 3 months. I should be able to have a set of refurbished and powder coated wheels for that.
1964 230SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 16:06:46 »
A friend just sold a set for 1k back in November but I wasn’t looking then.

You have to use the old traveler's mantra. Eat before you are hungry, and take the opportunity of a rest stop even if not necessary.
If you are doing any kind of rebuilding or restoration, think like a chess player for all the moves ahead, and strike when necessary.

To ease your burden, a 5.5" is fine for the spare. That's what I have. About the 6" ones, I initially found a set of two, then a third, and had the pair powder coated, and eventually sold them to our past president Ray Hays who I think had a line on two more. Then I still had that one single 6", when a friend offered me a full set of perfect 6" ones off of a TD that he had bought for a church (the church didn't care what the heck kind of wheels it had). I paid his junkyard price for a set of steel wheels to replace the aluminum ones. At the first PUB I went to with the new set of freshly powder coated 6" ones, I brought along the solo wheel too. Founding member Tom Sargent had 3-6" wheels, and one 5.5". I simply swapped him the 6" for the 5.5". The 6" one completed his set, the 5.5" became my spare. Everyone happy. A few bucks changed hands for some refinishing and the wheel cover clips, but no usurious pricing. Just good friendly camaraderie and furthering the cause.

The essence of club membership.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Jack the Knife

• Senior
  • USA, FL, Vero Beach
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2023, 20:09:05 »
You have to use the old traveler's mantra. Eat before you are hungry, and take the opportunity of a rest stop even if not necessary.
If you are doing any kind of rebuilding or restoration, think like a chess player for all the moves ahead, and strike when necessary.

To ease your burden, a 5.5" is fine for the spare. That's what I have. About the 6" ones, I initially found a set of two, then a third, and had the pair powder coated, and eventually sold them to our past president Ray Hays who I think had a line on two more. Then I still had that one single 6", when a friend offered me a full set of perfect 6" ones off of a TD that he had bought for a church (the church didn't care what the heck kind of wheels it had). I paid his junkyard price for a set of steel wheels to replace the aluminum ones. At the first PUB I went to with the new set of freshly powder coated 6" ones, I brought along the solo wheel too. Founding member Tom Sargent had 3-6" wheels, and one 5.5". I simply swapped him the 6" for the 5.5". The 6" one completed his set, the 5.5" became my spare. Everyone happy. A few bucks changed hands for some refinishing and the wheel cover clips, but no usurious pricing. Just good friendly camaraderie and furthering the cause.

You're absolutely right. And I didn't even think about how the dimensions of the 6" wheel would fit as a spare... will it?

Thankfully, it's not like new wheels are really necessary right now as I'm waiting on a custom lightweight radiator and a few other things... running the gamut on interiors right now. Special thanks to Aaron Householder for all the help on that. My new insulation arrives next week, too, and I am very excited to install that and at least get carpets back in the car.
1964 230SL

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2023, 15:14:37 »
Wow.  Prices have really gone up since the time I was selling these....
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

teahead

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, WA, Des Moines
  • aka "Rob"
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2023, 20:10:41 »

Tell him to reduce price to $1500 cash deal so he avoids the 13% paypal/Ebay fee.
1970 280SL auto, AC - aka "Edelweiss"

Jack the Knife

• Senior
  • USA, FL, Vero Beach
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2023, 00:13:13 »
Tell him to reduce price to $1500 cash deal so he avoids the 13% paypal/Ebay fee.

The guy here in FL with the wheels ghosted me during the meet-up time and place he selected (thankfully here in town) then texted me a few days later saying he was at some random gas station 30 miles away and he wanted to meet there...

... some people.
1964 230SL

Desertpagoda

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, AZ, Tucson
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2023, 00:38:38 »
Still lookin?
kb