Author Topic: M129 Refreshing - Timing Chain Guides, Chain, Oil Seepage - Need Some Guidance  (Read 940 times)

justfalcon

• Junior Level
  • USA, IN, Indianapolis
Not sure if it's going to best to crate a long post with multiple questions or present them one at a time, I mayupdate this initial post as needed:

I have an early 66 M129.980 that has a stretched chain and worn guides. I can certainly go into more detailed if requested, but, I'm replacing chains, cleaning up oil pan (RTV was used prior, not the correct gasket, which I now have), timing chain guides and addressing some front end oil leaks and getting some items re-zinc coated and cleaned. 

Question #1:

I've searched and haven't found a clear answer. I'd like to remove the timing cover/distributor cover. Currently the engine is set at TDC for cyl 1. Is there anything I need to prepare, look out for, or do to remove the cover? The gasket has some seepage and I have a new gasket to install. Does the engine need to be set to 20 degrees ATDC as if I were removing the FIP? Am I over thinking this and can I just unbolt it?

Question #2:

Does anyone have good instructions on replacing the guides? The BBB diagram has a 220D, and I'm uncertain if there were changes in guides. Are the accessible from the bottom end once the oil pan is removed? Will removing the timing cover give better access to the guide by that? The tensioner needs replacement and is already removed and I have a new one. Replacing the chain itself is pretty self explanatory it seems.

Question #3:

Removing the water pump and fan clutch - is the best way to grind down a 10mm box closed end to fit the bolts without rounding them? They do not appear to have ever been removed and do not look rounded and the open end of the 10mm fits nicely... I've seen that Kent @ mercedes source makes a tool, but haven't been too impressed with some of his tool offerings...

edit: fan and clutch are removed.

I'll leave it there for now till I get some of these items removed and can post more.

Any help, direction or guidance is appreciated!

Edit: Removed the oil pan, the RTV was a pain to get the pan to break loose. Does the plate need to be removed to see/access guides?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 14:30:14 by justfalcon »

justfalcon

• Junior Level
  • USA, IN, Indianapolis
...anyone??

Can anyone provide some detailed steps on replacing the timing chain guides?

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
Hello, always worth searching, use the general search button above left, most questions have been asked and answered at some time

I found this in the technical manual, hopefully it will help, again above left button

https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Engine/TimingChain

Found this using the general search function

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=14464.msg98799#msg98799
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 16:07:24 by BobH »
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather