Author Topic: Re-Keying OEM Chrome Gas Cap  (Read 2356 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re-Keying OEM Chrome Gas Cap
« on: September 20, 2021, 15:57:00 »
Has anyone [successfully] had the OEM gas cap re-keyed?
I have one that isn't keyed "with the car" and curious to know if it is worth pursuing getting it re-keyed, or if this is even possible.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Vander

• Silver
  • USA, OH, Columbus
Re: Re-Keying OEM Chrome Gas Cap
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 16:46:10 »
Mike,

Yes, I have done it with success. If you mail it to Columbus, OH I can do it. Feel free to message me.
1969 280SL

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 18:48:04 »
Michael,

Does your cap take a single sided key or a double sided key? I have both caps and am looking for the double sided one to be rekeyed to my master key. Have not been able to find anyone that can do it.
Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 18:49:33 »
Vander,

Can you rekey a 2 sided key cap?

Thanks

Tony
Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 19:25:39 »
The newer 2 sided keyed locking gas cap lacks the two openings under the cork gasket.  These openings give access to clips which hold the lock in place. When compressed these clips allow you to disassemble and get to the tumbler and wafers.  So for two sided keyed gas caps the only way would be to drill holes to access the clips. 

TylerS had volunteered to help me with this but time got away from me and then Covid. I have the necessary wafers IF we can gain access to the mechanism.  When and if we ever get around to this I will report back on our progress. 

~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 20:01:08 »
Len,

Thanks! that would be great. Have not been able to find anyone that can or is willing to do it.

Tony
Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 14:21:50 »
Did you ever resolve this issue?
I am looking at it and have drilled one of the two missing holes to access the lock lever but nothing has been revealed....
What I can say is that whilst the barrel in the locking cap that Mercedes supply uses a single sided key, the cylinder inside that cap has the reliefs to accept the wafers of a double sided key.
So, if you have a cap with single sided key that has the holes beneath the gasket with which to release the internal retaining lever, then all you need to do is find a supplier of the double-sided  lock cylinder. From there making your cap fit your key is straight forward.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 14:40:15 by stickandrudderman »

LakisAkylas

• Regular
  • USA, MA, Newton
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2022, 16:59:01 »
This is something I have looked into thoroughly. As far as I know, what Stick has suggested is the only way of re-keying a gas cap with two-sided key (for late 280SL). This idea was first implemented by Mark (Iconic) and I followed. The end result is satisfactory: a single key now works for ignition, doors, glove box, trunk and gas cap, as intended by MB. (According to my mechanic (Jim Cosgrove of Oldtimer Restorations), who actually did the barrel transplant, there is quite a lot of work involved though. He didn’t charge me for the time spent, but he would not agree to do it again for another customer!)

Lakis Akylas

71 280 SL, zf 5 speed, ltd slip, anthracite grey metallic (172), light grey MB tex (136)

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2022, 18:01:05 »
I spoke to Jim just now, he couldn't even begin to tell me how difficult it was to overcome this hurdle.... ;D

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2022, 16:28:04 »
Authentic Classics sells a reproduction without the Star logo.  This is a long shot but I wonder if the supplier of these caps would be willing to supply a keyed cylinder to swap into the original caps?  Might be worth getting ahold of Authentic classics.

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2022, 08:01:49 »
I believe all repros have single-sided keys so the cylinder from those won't help.
The double-sided key cap is not built to be dismantled so as Jim found out, it's next to impossible to do without running the risk of destroying the cap.

Jack Jones

• Silver
  • Canada, ON, Milton
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2022, 01:45:28 »
I have the newer 2 sided key and since I was unable to key the gas cap, I keyed all the other locks to match my gas cap. I have the kit to do this and have much experience with other makes so it was no issue. 
Jack Jones                                                                                                   
1970 280SL 4 Speed
1984 280SL 5 Speed

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2022, 08:20:23 »
I have the newer 2 sided key and since I was unable to key the gas cap, I keyed all the other locks to match my gas cap. I have the kit to do this and have much experience with other makes so it was no issue.

Good call!