Author Topic: My Garage Find 280sl - Injection Pump Successfully Rebuilt!  (Read 406 times)

willthomason

• Junior Level
  • USA, GA, Atlanta
  • Will T
My Garage Find 280sl - Injection Pump Successfully Rebuilt!
« on: September 02, 2022, 18:36:10 »
Here's an update on my Injection Pump rebuild work done by the renowned Marty Neubauer of Bohemia, NY.
We got my rebuilt Injection pump back from Marty in less than two weeks - I've attached before and after pics as well as Marty's notes on the repairs he made to give everyone a glimpse into my restoration journey. 
John, who owns the shop where my car is, talked to Marty a couple of times through the process. John said Marty knew Mercedes as well as anyone he's talked to in his career. 
A funny anecdote came after Marty called and said it was done (and quickly!).  John was amazed how quickly he finished the rebuild.  Marty told John he couldn't sleep one night and just did the whole thing. I think Marty likes what he does!
The best news?  The engine is back together and is running smooth as glass! 
I'm on track to get it out of the shop for the first time next week and on the road for some initial miles to see where we go from here!

« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 18:41:01 by willthomason »
1970 280SL Light Ivory 4-speed

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
Re: My Garage Find 280sl - Injection Pump Successfully Rebuilt!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 21:33:17 »
My FI system and engine were recently rebuilt. She’s a three pedal car like yours. I babied it during the first five hundred miles after the rebuild, but since then I’ve been driving pretty much as normal. There’s no hesitation and everything is smooth, very snappy and responsive.  If you’re like me you’ll really start enjoying the car and finding lame reasons why you should take it for a cruise.  You’ll understand why owners of these cars are so enthusiastic! 

~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)

willthomason

• Junior Level
  • USA, GA, Atlanta
  • Will T
Re: My Garage Find 280sl - Injection Pump Successfully Rebuilt!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 21:40:49 »
Len - I can’t wait!
1970 280SL Light Ivory 4-speed