Author Topic: Rubber temp switches  (Read 1382 times)

tarheel

• Inactive
  • Junior Level
  • USA, NJ, MULLICA HILL
Rubber temp switches
« on: October 01, 2022, 18:03:20 »
Hello

Maybe I’m not searching for the correct keyword, but the rubber switches that are moved left or right for the temp control are seized.  I’m hesitant to use more force than I am

Update -   [/b]have the glovebox out and have some access to the backside of this region .

Removed top wood grill and am able to visualize this area.  Even after lubricating wire that runs to top right switch- very stubborn though some movement. 

What do the wires top right and lower left operate ?  I assume the flap or diverter at opposite ends of switches is what truly needs lubricating 

Update. Sad to report the rubber knob ripped.  Frustrating and don’t know where to go from here

« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 23:13:27 by tarheel »

Pinder

• Gold
  • USA, NJ, Edison
Re: Rubber temp switches
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 21:11:52 »
bottom left dash is held on by about 3 screws. remove those and pull forward. front lip is held in place of the chrome strip. to get the bows out on the left you can remove the tac and then reach in and undo the blue knob screws.  I used wd40 to free up my heater controls. I removed the speaker cover and possibly you may need to remove the speaker if you have one in the center. then you can see the heater cables ataching to the plastic leavers. . try lubricating those. its possible your speaker is interfering with the leavers so it maybe you need to remove it and see whats going on.
1970 280 SL Light Ivory DB 670. 4 Speed manual shift no AC Limited Slip Diff.

Pinder

• Gold
  • USA, NJ, Edison
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2022, 21:13:55 »
Oh I think you are talking about the heater vent controls on the round vents. use WD 40 on the back side and slowly move them back and forth
1970 280 SL Light Ivory DB 670. 4 Speed manual shift no AC Limited Slip Diff.

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 15:20:36 »
To help your searching on this forum, don't use "switch", use "control".  These are heater controls and have been discussed at length.  If you're a full member, check our tech manual.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 22:55:15 »
Tarheel

As Jonny B and i have said many times I would highly recommend that you join the group as a full member. The technical manual will prove the value of the membership time and time again.

A search will not access the Technical Manual if you are not a Full Member.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric