Author Topic: Trip to Germany  (Read 2040 times)

ScouseJames

• Regular
  • United Kingdom, England, Croydon
  • 1966 230SL ex Worcester MA.
Trip to Germany
« on: June 23, 2022, 10:24:47 »
Last week (Wednesday to Sunday) I travelled to Bad Breisig in Germany to join what's known as the Ponton Rally organised by https://mbig.de/.  Lots of great Mercedes-Benz classics there but only three Pagodas.

I drove a total of 902 miles (90% top down) from Croydon (just south of London) to Bad Breisig on the Rhine via the Ardennes (Belgium).  Travelled across the English Channel to France using Eurotunnel, which is very convenient.  We came back home in one day on the Sunday, 402 miles.  Apart from being a tad thirsty, my '66 230SL performed brilliantly (of course).

We overnighted at Namur in Belgium on the Wednesday, and the next day visited the December 44 Museum in La Gleize Belgium which concerns the "Battle of the Bulge", hence the photo with the King Tiger tank.  A few excursions were organised for us by the organisers and we crossed the Rhine a couple of times using the quick and inexpensive ferries.

It was a great trip, for which the Pagoda is immensely suitable.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 10:33:14 by ScouseJames »

AdelaidePagoda

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Australia, South Australia, Adelaide
Re: Trip to Germany
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 11:05:45 »
Superb trip and a great summary. Looks like the weather was perfect.
Did you do any special pre trip mechanical work? Any mechanical issues at all whilst on the route?
Did you use Standard or Premium fuel?
Dave Cleghorn
January 1964 230SL 4SPD Power Steering
050 050 Black Soft top, Red Leather interior
Italian delivered/ Germany/ Florida/ Boston/ Sydney/ Adelaide (5th owner)

Model S Tesla
Vespa

ScouseJames

• Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 11:32:55 »
Superb trip and a great summary. Looks like the weather was perfect.
Did you do any special pre trip mechanical work? Any mechanical issues at all whilst on the route?
Did you use Standard or Premium fuel?

Hi, thanks.  It was hot, max 37 degrees C which is 98.6 F.  Had some rain on the Sunday coming back through Belgium, heavy enough that I had to put the top up.  The car had some engine work done over the winter and had passed the UK's test to confirm the vehicle is safe for the road (MOT) earlier this year, so I was quite happy to take it away on a long distance trip.  No issues on the trip, and I used premium fuel, min 98 octane.

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 12:35:56 »
Looks like you had a wonderful trip and yes our Pagoda loves to be driven long distances and is very comfortable to drive those long distances.

For the future, next time your heading to Germany try to make a stop in Hamburg and visit the Miniature Wonderland. You will not regret it. Safe travels.

Dieter

----> https://www.miniatur-wunderland.com
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

ScouseJames

• Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 12:49:17 »
Looks like you had a wonderful trip and yes our Pagoda loves to be driven long distances and is very comfortable to drive those long distances.

For the future, next time your heading to Germany try to make a stop in Hamburg and visit the Miniature Wonderland. You will not regret it. Safe travels.

Dieter

----> https://www.miniatur-wunderland.com

Thanks Dieter,

I have seen this place online and it is on my list of places to visit.  I have visited Hamburg but that was over 20 years ago,

Jim.