Author Topic: Chrome exhaust tip removal "tips"  (Read 2226 times)

John Betsch - "SADIE"

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, SOUTHOLD
Chrome exhaust tip removal "tips"
« on: June 07, 2022, 14:33:04 »
Any good suggestions/tips on removing the chrome exhaust ends? New system and I am assuming the present ones are probably much better than a new purchase?  I couldn't find any ideas in the Tech Manual
JB; 1965 German market SL, Rot Met 571, Summary Code 213 Interior

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Chrome exhaust tip removal "tips"
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 15:13:21 »
There is most likely corrosion inside the exhaust tip making this a tough job. Since you are removing the old system anyway, I would suggest you cut off the section with the tips right next to the rear muffler. That gives you some leverage to twist with. Stand the pieces upright with the tips down and let the penetrant do its thing. Then try to slowly twist the old exhaust pipes to get some movement and gradually work it out.

I don't have any experience with the above, but strikes me as one way to do this. I will be curious to see what others have to say.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

John Betsch - "SADIE"

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, SOUTHOLD
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 15:34:46 »
Sounds like it's a job for "AeroKroil"!

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Mossel Bay, South Africa
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 16:50:15 »
Same happened to me this week. After ordering a new pair of tail pipes, the old ones came off with a few light blows with a hammer and rebar.
Try Q20 and a few well aimed blows.
Good luck
Chris
28 Ford Model A Pickup
29 Chevy Phaeton
67 E Type FHC
67 250SL 5 speed
83 911SC
2015 VW T5 California Pop Top

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 17:13:36 »
If you have a reciprocating saw with a metal blade, cut the old exhaust and then cut down the inside of the pipe just enough to cut through the exhaust pipe but not the crome outer. Do this on opposite sides of the pipe so that you can collapse it and withdrawer it.
If your time is free it works.

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 23:48:36 »
Collapse the inner pipe (exhaust pipe) to remove the chrome tips.

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2022, 00:29:20 »
I did a new exhaust a few year’s ago. If you are replacing g exhaust with a new o e I would suggest purchase new pipes from Classic Center. No difference between. Old tips and new tips. MB assures that their replacement parts are to the specs of the originals. 
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2022, 14:17:49 »
Unless you have the original "square rim tips" on the exhaust tips, consider and weigh the benefits of spending money and time on labor and tools and just buy a new set of tips with the rounded rolled edges.

This is also why stainless steel makes good sense on an old classic that is going to be around for a while.

That being said, there are tools such as air chisels and pipe expanders that can help you. There are also inductive heaters to place around the outside chrome, or gentle heat from an industrial heat gun (not your wife's hair dryer). You may be able to "break that bond" between the chrome tip and the underlying steel exhaust tip and be able to eventually twist it off. The challenge is not damaging the chrome. A little discoloration from heat can always be polished out.

If you do replace the system with an OEM and non-stainless, consider the old trick of cutting a slot in the steel tip of the muffler; this will facilitate the next time you need to do this.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

John Betsch - "SADIE"

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, SOUTHOLD
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2022, 17:35:55 »
continuing with this thread: When the middle Muffler was blown I decided on a complete NEW system.  M-B Classic Ctr sent me to Time Valve where I purchased a stainless system. Shop installing had no problem removing the old system until the exhaust flange was damaged requiring removing the headers and repairing with new piping.  Happy to say all fixed/good now

MY QUESTION: I removed the chrome exhaust tips on the old system as they seemed original. Putting them on the new stainless system, they are not tight (new pipes must be a tiny bit smaller diameter.)  they just slip on/off

Any suggestions on how to install with a tight fit?  (the tips actually look like there are two square indents made for some type of crimp tool)

Install ideas anyone?

jb
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 18:23:01 by John Betsch - "SADIE" »

Baybear

• Regular
  • USA, VA, Midlothian
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2022, 01:03:28 »
Use some high teperature silicon on the new stainless and push them on. Just did the same with Timevalve stainless on my 280sl. Permatex Hi temp RTV. Just use a little so it does not come out the exhaust end.
Will
Will Milby
1970 300SEL 6.3, 1971 280SL, 1972 300SEL 4.5, 1972 Super Beetle, 1998 SL500, 2010 350 GLK, 2012 SLS AMG