Author Topic: OIL LEAK AT FUEL INJ PUMP  (Read 1052 times)

toneypenna

• Regular
  • USA, FL, Jupiter
OIL LEAK AT FUEL INJ PUMP
« on: September 08, 2022, 15:28:29 »

I'm BACK AGAIN FOR SOME ADVICE 64 230 SL. i HAVE A SMALL OIL LEAK THAT APPEARS TO BE COMING FROM THE BASE OF WHAT I THINK IS ONE OF THE  FI  INJECTION ADJUSTMENTS.
IS THERE AN O RING OR A GASKET BEHIND IT? I DON'T WANT TO REMOVE IT UNTIL I KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT. I HAVE ATTACHED A PICTURE FOR CLARITY.
AS ALWAYS, ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

JIM

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
Re: OIL LEAK AT FUEL INJ PUMP
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 22:55:07 »
Are you talking about the spring loaded knob for idle mixture? If so, there is an O-ring on the back side. You have to remove the large nut to access. Basically with the large nut off, push the knob in and remove the O-ring and replace. i would highly recommend using a Viton (FKM) material instead of the usual Buna or Nitrile. Viton will hold up longer and cost all of a $1 more. This will be a metric size but you can use inch sizes that are easier to find. You will want to make sure the cross section of the inch sized O-ring is slightly thicker than what you take out. Thicker is OK, thinner will leak. The O-ring should stretch over and snap snug in the groove.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

roymil

• Senior
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 14:40:54 »
I have a very small oil leak on the back of my pump too.  In my case I think the oil might be somehow leaking out of the fuel cutoff solenoid and dripping down on things below, like the idle adjuster.

I'm thinking of pulling the solenoid and rebuilding it and wondering if anyone as experience with that? 

I only found reference in the forum about trying to source a used one which seems like trading one problem for another so I'm hoping to rebuild what I have if it seems possible.  I did find some new ones at the usual suppliers for ~$500 so I'm thinking its worth trying to save my used one, especially since it works and the leak is small.  thanks.
Mark Miller
1968 280SL
Rode in his pagoda's first mile.

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2022, 14:45:31 »
I had a shut off solenoid that leaked at the plastic cap. Not common but it happens. I put a used one on and haven't had any issues yet. I got mine from Pacific Fuel or you could try Fairchild injection. They frequently have used parts lying around.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

Todd

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, SoCal
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 00:16:32 »
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 23:33:18 by Todd »
Todd

toneypenna

• Regular
  • USA, FL, Jupiter
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 19:13:57 »
Wallace

Thank you for your input, doesn't sound complicated, that's what I was looking for. As I said I didn't' want to take it off unless I knew what I was getting into. Thanks again .
Jim