Author Topic: Minor Steering Woes Fixed  (Read 1157 times)

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
Minor Steering Woes Fixed
« on: June 06, 2022, 16:55:49 »
Recap....5 years ago I recognized that there was something amiss with the steering of my pagoda when I was trying to keep up with some spirited drivers in the local Mercedes Club with modern machinery.  Once I got home I started pushing and pulling on things but couldn't find anything wrong.  Fast forward to April of this year -   while I was laid up with knee surgery I got under the car and figured I would get to the bottom of the issues - tire wear - uniform, wheel bearings - tight, steering bushings - fine,   king pins - fine,  tie rods - fine,  drag link - clunk - BAD - gotcha   

So ordered the parts from Stevens Creek Mercedes in San Jose as soon as the border opened to us Canadians, (ordered a steering shock absorber as well as I think Joe Alexander said they are usually bad by the time something else down there is bad - mine was toast)

The connections came apart nicely with a smaller pickle fork and a medium sized hammer, and everything went back together easily and I'm back on the road.

I took my car out for an early morning jaunt to get to the twisties where I performed a seat of the pants test at "excessive" speed (proper speed is where the tires start to give a constant squeal though the twisties in both directions) and success, car handles those corners better than it ever has in my ownership.  The twitchiness is gone. 

A shout out to our Forum for the info needed to remedy my issue and to the parts guys at Stevens Creek Mercedes in San Jose-  I contacted a few Mercedes shops and Stevens Creek was the only one which took the time to respond to me by email that I had a wrong part number and that they had the correct parts in stock - and they got my business.   Why are parts so expensive in Canada? 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 20:30:48 by Bonnyboy »
Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50

zak

• Silver
  • USA, NJ, Bernardsville
Re: Minor Steering Woes Fixed
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 20:53:24 »
Good use of your time. Must be very satisfying to drive now.
Enjoy,
jz
1967 250 SL
1983 280 SL
2015 ML 250 Bluetec
2007 ML CDI
2004 E 320 Wagon
1999 E300 Turbodiesel