Author Topic: Non Ethanol Gas $  (Read 4791 times)

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
Re: Non Ethanol Gas $
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2022, 04:11:39 »
I only have one gasoline powered tractor that we still use a bit - a 1965 430 Case. My father bought it new when I was still in grade school. We use farm gas ( 87 ) and it always starts and seems to run well enough.

We have become experts at keeping old stuff running. My combine is 40 years old with 5,000 + hours on it. As long as it costs less to keep running than to have it custom done I'll keep running it. 
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2022, 14:30:34 »
It was NOS in the box when I installed it when I acquired the car in 1984.

Thirty three years of service life out of an old British NOS part is probably not something to complain much about. How old was the unit when it was installed in 1984?

I hate to disillusion anyone here, but metals such as zinc, pot metal and similar non-ferrous metals can degrade over time regardless of whether or not the product is used or even installed. For "pure" zinc castings/die castings, the culprit is well known and documented as a phenomenon known as "Zinc Pest." Look it up. In a nutshell the slightest amount of impurities in the metallurgy of the zinc can cause this. In pot metal, all bets are off. There's no fixed alloy for pot metal, and the impurities in zinc pest are rampant in pot metal.

Similar kinds of things can happen in more complex castings/forgings with other non-ferrous metals. Impurities in aluminum castings cause all kinds of problems. Some of these cylinder head castings come from what I call third world countries where the quality control isn't up to snuff, and the actual manufacturer doesn't really give a hoot. I'm reminded of a story my daughter's former soccer coach (a PHD in metallurgy for Ford Motor) told me about a container of aluminum cylinder head castings from you know where, that set off radiation detectors at the port of entry. Investigation led to the realization that the caster in this country put some spent fuel rods in the mix and thought they could get away with it.

In another story about cylinder heads, I'm reminded of the fabulous tour of the Roush Racing rebuild facility in Livonia, Michigan, where Jack Roush's team developed a process to totally rebuild cylinder heads from the legendary Rolls-Royce/Packard V12 engines that powered the P-51 Mustang along with many racing boats in later years. We were told in the tour that the average live of an engine in that plane was measured in hours. We were told seven, but records may indicate higher. When pulled off a failed engine the damage to the cylinder head was like rotted teeth and Swiss cheese. The process involved machining out the bad metal, filling it in while on an ultrasonic table, and then re-machining. The deep pocketed Jack Roush went through years of effort and mountains of paperwork to get the process certified by the FAA as airworthy. Many cylinder heads formerly used as door stops were salvaged for use in Merlin engines. https://www.roushaviation.com. That damage to the aluminum cylinder head was due to bad metallurgy along with very hard operating characteristics.

In my life, I've run into plenty of crumbling light metal parts, that are as fragile as all get out. "Punky" my dad used to say. Many of these parts never saw any kind of fuel, they just didn't age well because the metallurgy was prone to this.

Ethanol or not, even metal is not forever.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2022, 16:13:59 »
Thirty three years of service life out of an old British NOS part is probably not something to complain much about. How old was the unit when it was installed in 1984?

Can't say.  This was back in the days when most British car parts suppliers were still selling NOS parts acquired from dealer parts departments and other sources. Most of those parts are now long gone and there has been a consolidation of British car parts suppliers as well.  In a scenario familiar to many, suppliers are getting replacement parts made, mostly in Asia, some of which fit and work properly, and some of which don't.  Many (expensive!) chrome plated parts are crap:  pitting, peeling, or developing rust spots within months.

The replacement fuel sender I installed last spring is a case in point:  When I filled the tank it leaked to the tune of several drips per hour.  I had to drain the tank to below the level of the sender to stop the drips.  I've had it out and tried several of both the standard (paper) and upgraded (fuel resistant rubber) gaskets on offer from several vendors. I finally found a standard paper gasket, which combined with liberal application of blue Hylomar, has reduced the drip to maybe once a week at this point.  This is not a British car forum, but I am open to suggestions from anyone here about finding fuel resistant gasket material that I can use to make my own gasket, as I think that the holes provided for the six retaining screws in all the ready-made gaskets available these days are too large in diameter for an effective seal around the threads of the screws.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

roymil

• Senior
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2022, 17:32:13 »
I'd suggest making your gasket from Viton and lightly coating both sides with Permatex fuel resistant gasket dressing.   It doesn't completely harden and should tolerate the fuel.  I'd agree about not depending on the screw holes sealing well.  It should be the flat surfaces that make the seal. 
Mark Miller
1968 280SL
Rode in his pagoda's first mile.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2022, 11:22:31 »
…I'd suggest making your gasket from Viton and lightly coating both sides with Permatex fuel resistant gasket dressing…

https://www.gasketing.net/viton.php
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid