Author Topic: Keep cool our European friends  (Read 2883 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Keep cool our European friends
« on: July 20, 2022, 00:49:55 »
Watching news regarding the heat wave in Europe and UK/Ireland. We’re pretty used to it here in the US south, but you’re not. Keep cool and hydrate!
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

David Robinson

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Senior
  • Ireland, Connaught, Galway
Re: Keep cool our European friends
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 12:18:18 »
Mike you can now hydrate at the gas station.

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 14:38:39 »
Watching news regarding the heat wave in Europe and UK/Ireland. We’re pretty used to it here in the US south, but you’re not. Keep cool and hydrate!

35 Degrees C (95 Degrees F) on my balcony this afternoon in Lavagna (Genova).  Real Birmingham Weather! We are lucky here on the beach.  Most of the big cites are seeing 40+. 
Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

Taleb

• Senior
  • USA, NY, SPRINGFIELD GARDENS
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 18:32:04 »
yesterday the temperature in Kuwait was 124F and i drove my 280sl pagoda smoothly with the engine temperature 180 didn't go higher and never overheated ...

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2022, 14:06:13 »
35 Degrees C (95 Degrees F) on my balcony this afternoon in Lavagna (Genova).  Real Birmingham Weather! We are lucky here on the beach.  Most of the big cites are seeing 40+.

I suspect Europeans will eventually discover air conditioning.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2022, 21:13:33 »
I suspect Europeans will eventually discover air conditioning.

Depends. Right now, they are going for solar panels. Heat pumps are an alternative. Unless a/c can be integrated with sustainable power supply, few will pick it. While daytime highs are extreme, the Gulf Stream climate provides decent nighttime temperatures
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2022, 22:21:48 »
...few will pick it...

Yeah, took forever for the Brits to adopt central heating, may take as long for everyone to accept central air.

Q. Why don't you have a/c?
A. Because it doesn't get too hot here.
Q. Isn't it over 100 degrees (38C)?
A. Yes.
Q. Didn't you say it doesn't get too hot here?

Reminds me of the time when my flight was delayed in Lynchburg, VA, waiting for it to come from Myrtle Beach...(true story)

Q. Why is my flight delayed?
A. Because the plane is frozen and needs to be deiced.
Q. Why don't you de-ice it?
A. We don't have de-icing equipment in Myrtle Beach.
Q. Why not?
A. It doesn't get that cold in Myrtle Beach...

"Until it does" are the operative words in both cases..

Home heating systems in the American upper midwest are always designed for worst case scenarios, like -20 degrees F. (-30C) and they'll keep a home warm and comfortable even if one day in five years it gets that cold. Here in the American south, the cooling systems are similarly designed. A 3.5 ton and 2.5 ton a/c unit keeps the down and up of my home quite comfortable, though humidity is as much of a concern as the heat...

More than 1,900 perished in the heat in Spain and Portugal alone in this very heat wave. Very, very sad.
As I said at the start, keep cool and hydrate. As I implied, I hope everyone in our group isn't in any peril. Be safe and be smart.

As a sidebar, I noted a building crew prepping a foundation pour adjacent to a home I was working at today. Humidity is well over 90% and temperatures close to 100F. They were dressed head to toe with no exposed skin. Light colored clothing. Hats with "safari style" flaps covering their necks. Long pants, long sleeves. Most had a neck/face gaiter, and sunglasses. Even gloves. They do this day in and day out. They know more than most people venturing out in this heat!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 22:26:20 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2022, 11:32:12 »
I have A/C. But it is a heat pump system that can also provide heat in winter. It is a Daikin system and I am amazed at its efficiency.
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2022, 13:54:24 »
I have A/C. But it is a heat pump system that can also provide heat in winter. It is a Daikin system and I am amazed at its efficiency.

Well Peter, we know you are one of the smart ones who isn't going to cause your own suffering!

Of course, every a/c is a heat pump, but as just an a/c it is operating in "one direction" only. As a heat pump, it is merely the same unit with a reversing valve (and some associated controls but not much more!) so it operates in BOTH directions. This is for "air sourced" heat pumps and a/c units.

I had a heat pump in Michigan, that was wonderful for heat in the "shoulder season" as we say, when the outside temps were 37F to 55F (3-13C). The heat was gentle and slow. We had a separate meter for the compressor that provided a very low rate, but allowed the electric company to turn it off for 20 minutes per hour, 4x per day, only between 0900 and 1700, only from 1-May to 31-Oct. After that, the rate was a flat 30% less than normal. When below 37 degrees/3C the gas furnace kicked on since the heat pump wasn't capable of making enough heat fast enough.

The builder didn't put one in here, because builders are the cheapest people you can find. Always trying to cut a corner today at the expense of long term use for the owners. Sad.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2022, 19:25:44 »
yesterday the temperature in Kuwait was 124F and i drove my 280sl pagoda smoothly with the engine temperature 180 didn't go higher and never overheated ...
Taleb, did you have the air conditioning turned on in your Pagoda?  If so, did it keep the interior temperature at a reasonable level?
Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)