Author Topic: Ballast failure  (Read 1422 times)

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
Ballast failure
« on: June 06, 2022, 16:23:35 »
My engine was running rough and then died. The engine would not start. After the ballast was changed the engine started right up. I tried to drive it and it was running rough and eventually the engine died again and would not start. I can easily replace the ballast again but, I obviously have another issue. Perhaps one of our experts can share some thoughts on what the problem really is.
Thank you,
Ted280sl
1969 280sl with Red ballast

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Ballast failure
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 14:21:56 »
I'm a little baffled, Ted, that you have not received any other replies.

Is the ballast you recently replaced also broken? There are ways to test it. If a new ballast immediately cracked or fried, maybe it was a fluke. Try another and if it is something else that too will quit quickly. Just don't venture far from home.

You may consider the addition of the Pertronix if your distributor is in good shape, no slop or play. It's just over $100 or so, and you don't use a ballast. Couple it with the recommended Pertronix Flamethrower coil.

If your distributor is worn, you can probably get it fixed; there are threads on the topic elsewhere. Dan Caron and Glenn Ring do this, but best to speak with them first. Dan's in Canada, Glenn's on Long Island.

If the distributor is beyond help or hope, just get a 123 and put these issues to rest forever.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
Re: Ballast failure
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 15:44:33 »
Hi Mike,
  Thanks for your thoughts. Since the new ballast died just as the old one did, I do not think another ballast is the answer. Going for the Petronius system might fix my problem and would be an upgrade.
Thanks again
Ted