Author Topic: Starter Motor Problems?  (Read 1495 times)

AdelaidePagoda

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Australia, South Australia, Adelaide
Starter Motor Problems?
« on: June 13, 2022, 11:58:27 »
Backstory: 230SL 4spd intermittent starting issue, maybe once every 15-20 starts.
Stop at destination, everything working perfectly. Warm motor, want to restart engine to continue journey, turn ignition, one click, nothing. No noise at all. Key back and forth, nothing. Lights everything working, 3 month old almost new battery.
Hood up, tap the top of (original although likely refurbished) starter motor with a long wrench, turn ignition and it starts up. Runs perfectly.
This has been going on for 3 months and I suspect from reading this forum, I need a new (or refurbish this one) starter motor.
My question is, has anyone else had this issue and if so, what was the likely diagnosis and best course of action?
What is the expected lifespan of the starter motor if left untreated?
Is this an intermittent issue and may resolve itself or early signs of the start of a gradual decay?
If the forum agrees that I wneed a new starter motor soon, any advice on a suitable supplier here in Australia?

Any suggestions and advice welcomed.

Dave Cleghorn
January 1964 230SL 4SPD Power Steering
050 050 Black Soft top, Red Leather interior
Italian delivered/ Germany/ Florida/ Boston/ Sydney/ Adelaide (5th owner)

Model S Tesla
Vespa

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Starter Motor Problems?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 03:37:19 »
You have many options. Rebuild your original starter. You can also use a later original pagoda starter which has more horse power. You can also buy a modern version (gear reduction) starter which is smaller but has more horsepower. New and rebuilt units of all of the above should be available. In addition good used units may be available since these starters were used in many Mercedes sedans of the era.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Starter Motor Problems?
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 13:02:24 »
Of course Joe is correct but has unnecessarily complicated the issue for you.

If you have a problem with your starter go to an auto parts store and buy a Bosch factory rebuilt or similar. You may have a core charge. Swap out the bad one for your new one and return the defective one and get your core charge back.

Yes that simple.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid