Author Topic: UK 230 SL  (Read 2180 times)

gordon

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Burntwood
UK 230 SL
« on: March 23, 2022, 21:30:54 »
Can anyone please advise on the following. When the light switch is turned anti clockwise a parking light comes on front and rear on one side then the other side when switched  further anticlockwise so all lamps working. However when the switch is turned one click clockwise only the rear lights come on.

Could it be related to the following.  The blue/white / red wire coming from the steering column to the 12 pin junction box has the yellow/white wire from the steering column soldered into it or has that been done to solve another problem. For example the wipers don't work but the screen wash does.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
Re: UK 230 SL
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 12:12:50 »
Dear Gordon

No, both things are not related to the modifications made at the steering column sub harness.

When you turn the main light switch clockwise one position after been on the off, it energizes the T58 circuit which is a solid gray cable that goes to fuse no.7 input.  Then after passing the fuse no.7 if it is not blown up  , energy goes trough a GRAY/yellow/green cable to the port named “N” outside on the main light switch. Internally there is a bridge to the other port labeled “N “ on same light switch. From there two Gray/green cables go to each of the headlights to provide energy to the driving lamps inside the headlight assembly.

So your problem of nothing lighting up on first click clockwise of the main light switch should be related to something in that route which is interrupted.

Start with the easiest one, which is to check whether the fuse no.7 is ok or not.

Then go to the other two possibilities which are a damaged gray cable, or a damaged gray/green/yellow cable.

Best regards
L.peterssen
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 14:07:41 by lpeterssen »

gordon

• Senior
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 21:11:26 »
Thanks for your guidance, I'll check it out tomorrow

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 06:22:46 »
I think maybe: when I look at how the euro light is built (parking light and clearance light are not the same) and the wiring diagram, you will see that turning the switch anti-clockwise switches left and right clearance lights while turning it clockwise switches on parking lights, which are different lights on different circuit. I would check how headlights are wired.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2022, 12:35:31 »
Some vehicles have a special parking light set-up for only the rear light to come on. The assumption is, that you park on the side of traffic and only the rear needs to be illuminated for other drivers to see the parked vehicle. Some of my BMW motorcycles have that. Both front and rear and rear only parking light.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2022, 11:17:38 »
Dear Gordon

No, both things are not related to the modifications made at the steering column sub harness.

When you turn the main light switch clockwise one position after been on the off, it energizes the T58 circuit which is a solid gray cable that goes to fuse no.7 input.  Then after passing the fuse no.7 if it is not blown up  , energy goes trough a GRAY/yellow/green cable to the port named “N” outside on the main light switch. Internally there is a bridge to the other port labeled “N “ on same light switch. From there two Gray/green cables go to each of the headlights to provide energy to the driving lamps inside the headlight assembly.

So your problem of nothing lighting up on first click clockwise of the main light switch should be related to something in that route which is interrupted.

Start with the easiest one, which is to check whether the fuse no.7 is ok or not.

Then go to the other two possibilities which are a damaged gray cable, or a damaged gray/green/yellow cable.

Best regards
L.peterssen

Mistaken comment above.  Is fuse no.8 output what you have to check.  Fuses 7 and 8 are bridged together on the input side.   Cable gray/green/yellow comes out of fuse no.8 output side

Sorry for my mistake

Best regards
L.peterssen

gordon

• Senior
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2022, 10:00:17 »
Thanks for all input, I'm away at the moment so I'll pursue it further when I return.
Happy Easter everyone