Author Topic: Video showing Handling of tops  (Read 1127 times)

lagolag

• Regular
  • Sweden, Västra Götaland, Askim
Video showing Handling of tops
« on: February 15, 2022, 16:43:01 »
Bumped in to this Brabus video on how to handle/operate the HT and the soft top, showing all needed grips to handle it the easy way.
I'm glad that I have a late car where the front locking handles are fixed to the tops, one less hassle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcvG2HfMat4
230SL 1967 since July 2021
SL55 AMG 2003 since July 2008
Suzuki Cappuccino 1995 since May 2006, Sold

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: Video showing Handling of tops
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 18:19:56 »
Nice video. Of course most of us don't always have four hands to simplify the process. I have managed to do it myself with the help of a hoist -- but the buddy system is the way to go.

I do a few things slightly differently. (My handles also are permanent). I use the plastic sheets but have taped them in place so I don't forget this really important step. My previous top had tears from scraping the metal lip of storage compartment. Also, when I store the soft-top, I put a felt covered noodle (1 inch pipe insulation) in the folded plastic window. I also lay a long piece of felt the length of the chrome strip on the soft-top (only on early the 230SL) just because it has a bit of a sharp edge.

What I do need is a hard-top stand. My top is just leaning against the wall. That one seems fairly simple and light weight.
James
63 230SL