Author Topic: non number matching harddtop  (Read 3882 times)

Davek1

• Regular
  • United Kingdom, England, Wells
non number matching harddtop
« on: February 19, 2022, 21:15:41 »
Hi all, I am in the process of buying a 1969 280sl, it is a matching Number car except the hard top. The one with the car is from a 230sl  with the fixed handles. Would this devalue the car if I came to sell it in the future. Are there any other differences from the early hardtops to the late ones.

Thanks

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
Re: non number matching harddtop
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 21:32:01 »
Did the car you are looking at originally come with a hard-top? If it didn't, why would an added hard-top "devalue" the car? You are adding something to it. It may not be as valuable as a similar car with an original hard-top, but this is uncertain. There are more important factors driving the value than a hard-top.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 21:51:28 »
If the hard top topic is so important, a couple of questions to answer first maybe:

1. Was the car ordered with or without a hard top? This can be determined by decoding the Body and Paint Code Plate screwed to the relay bracket. If hard top was not ordered with the car it does not matter if it is original.

2. Is the hard top original? The 230SL handles may not be the proof. I have have 230SL handles in 280SL hard top and soft top (God bless the PO who replaced all these handles - my life is so much more easy without the nonsense of the late handles!). Someone might have replaced the handles too. The number composed of the last 3 or 4 digits of body number (not VIN number!) is supposed to be on the hard top, rear frame (I do not exactly know where, I was never able to find it). If it is there and the digits are the proper ones, as I described, it is the hard top form this car. You may want to search for location of this number on hard top on the forum via search function, or someone may help. To me it would be more important if the hard top fits the car and the glass ok.

As for the value - I do not know. To me the key value determinant is the rust and overall condition of the car. I would not care about "matching numbers" or hard top number. Maybe the hood (bonnet) matching would be more important, but not the hard top. But it is just my view.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Davek1

• Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 22:36:55 »
The car came with a hard top as its got a colour on the data card, definitely not the original hard top but I do like the early handles. All other numbers match. As this will be probably the only pagoda I will ever buy just trying to make the best choice possible. The car is virtually rust free

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2022, 23:27:28 »
The color refers also to hubcaps, I do not know if it was possible to have a different color just on hubcaps if hard top was not ordered, but you may be correct. Do you have a picture of the Body and Paint Codes plate? Can you ask for that?

If it is really a rust free - that is the most important point. Any work done to chassis? And some more questions there as well, again, IMHO, much more important than the hard top question.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Vander

• Silver
  • USA, OH, Columbus
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2022, 00:28:54 »
I wouldn't let a non matching numbers hardtop deter you from buying it, especially if it is rust free.

Most people just leave the hardtop on a stand in the corner of their garage anyway. I would rather have a non-matching numbers hardtop, than not having one at all.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 04:42:24 by Vander »
1969 280SL

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2022, 02:24:15 »
It really depends on the car.  If it’s in great condition, been well maintained and shows and runs well, that would be far more important to me than another car that has all matching numbers but hadn’t been maintained.  Vander is correct: many of us remove the hardtop and just use the car as a roadster. 

~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)

Davek1

• Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2022, 10:16:44 »
Thanks all, I am not going to worry about the hard top number  not matching, the car seems to honest to miss. The chassis and rockers are all original and still has the beige under seal on.

AGT

• Senior
  • Scotland, Midlothian, Edinburgh
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2022, 10:45:44 »
Dave

I put the hardtop on my car earlier this month. It had been off the car since 2011.

My hardtop is non-matching. The car’s file includes a copy of the very polite letter a previous owner wrote decades ago when he was arranging the purchase of the replacement hardtop. Possibly I like that letter more than I would care for matching numbers.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

1966 230SL

Davek1

• Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2022, 11:06:55 »
I have agreed to purchase the car, so must now upgrade to full membership

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2022, 11:18:38 »
Congratulations!

Let's hope she will bring you lots of enjoyment and Membership lots of knowledge!

Pictures please!
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2022, 20:10:33 »
Ditto with what Pawel wrote.  These are wonderful cars BUT hate sitting for long periods of time.  If you feel confident you can do the work yourself, there are many highly qualified members who can give you guidance. If not (I’m in that category), find the most qualified mechanic near you to sort out the car.  The engine, transmission and FI when properly adjusted are amazing.  These cars are much more than just a pretty face!
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)

Davek1

• Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2022, 17:58:03 »
I intend to do a lot of the work myself, I am sure I will be asking loads of question in the future. Once I have it home will post pictures