Author Topic: Color codes for Sun Visors (Grey)  (Read 8945 times)

Tom Colitt

Color codes for Sun Visors (Grey)
« on: March 20, 2005, 23:51:12 »
Hi

Does anyon know a good match for redying my tan sun visors to match the original Grey sun visors found on a Blue car with a Blue top and white headliner? Is there an SEM dye color that is a good match?

Thanks, Tom

Tom Colitt

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: Color codes for Sun Visors (Grey)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 07:27:00 »
Original would not be gray, but would be the off-white (beige?) that matches the head liner.  That being said, many people do prefer the visors to match the interior and dye them accordingly.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Tom Colitt

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 20:19:31 »
Thanks Rodd

Weren't there at least three headliner colors available? White, off-white (beige) and grey? I'm guessing the beige went with tan, brown and similar interiors and the white or grey went with Black, Blue and such colors?

I'm guessing the tan visors that I picked up would not be correct for my Blue DB906/ DB906, 9000 Blue interior and Blue soft top.

Regards, Tom

Tom Colitt

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 20:27:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Colitt

Weren't there at least three headliner colors available? White, off-white (beige) and grey? I'm guessing the beige went with tan, brown and similar interiors and the white or grey went with Black, Blue and such colors?
Tom,
I've not heard of that, but I only know what I read on this discussion forum!  I've never done any independant research and I'm way too young (38, just like my car), to be able to say, "When I was looking at these at the dealership back in '66 ....."

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

n/a

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 18:35:53 »
I purchased my "grey" dye from Leatherique. It came out surprizingly nice. I tried to match the headliner, which was "grey" I put grey in parenthesis, because to my eyes, it looks like an off-white, but my Mercedes upholstery shop says its grey.

Eryck

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 07:57:58 »
Had the same question. My mechanic here in HK is willing to try to see if he can find someone who can reproduce the sun visors. Of course, I hope the local labor and materials from China will make the final price more resonable than what the new ones are currently selling for. I will also QC it properly. Will let you all know if the results is good.

1965 230 SL White Manual
Hong Kong

Tom Colitt

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 01:06:08 »
Thanks for the responses. Eryck, remember that the 230Sls have altogether different sunvisors.

Rodd, I'm only 41 years old too (here in L.A. we still call that 35 :-), but I did quite a bit of research to tell me that there were also white (not just off-white) headliners. Please respond who disagrees. What sunvisor went with the white headliners?

regards, Tom

Tom Colitt

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 21:06:13 »
Freunde des Alkohols, der leichten Muse und der grauen Sonnenblenden![:0]

Hello altogether,
Tom, you are of course right. There were and are different colors for the sunvisors: three for the 280 (tan, light beige and light grey - don't remeber exactly what they are called and don't have the "numbers" on hand) and two for the 230 (light beige and light grey). I believe to remember that all 3 colors are still available new for the 280 SL. But only for big bucks, of course.

Grey ones are correct with black and blue interiors and maybe a few others as well (anthracite, grey ...).
Unfortunately I don't exactly know which vinyl paint code would go best for your and mysunvisors. Mine have faded but I will keep them original (faded) grey.

Basically the detailled MB-interior list (for instance in the "Engelen") gives clear overview which interior color (leather/vinyl) goes with which sunvisor-color and headliner color, carpet, rubber mat color, color of seat belts, etc.

For black and blue interiors a white (really white) headliner is the correct one. Still available new from DaimlerChrysler and not expensive at all.

All the best,

Achim
(black interior, grey sunvisors, and (a strongly faded) white (slighlty torn)headliner
Achim
(Germany)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 21:24:37 »
Hello.

I am pretty sure my visors were light beige -- with blue interior and Blue soft/hard top. Car was Papyrus Weiss (717). Headliner started off as very light I believe.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Tom Colitt

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 10:58:58 »
Ah Achim, leave it to to a German to finally come out with a strong, definitive answer and then say I'm right at that :D

Kidding aside, I thought I'd been mistaken, but still, it seems then, that on 280SLs only, the white headliner and the grey sunvisor would have been a mismatched set as far as color goes? I do have one grey sunvisor so I will try to clean it and find a light Grey SEM vinyl dye to match and let people know of the results.

Its good to hear back from you on the boards. I hope Magdeburg is treating you well. I rememeber visiting there once anout 30 years ago and it was not my fondest childhood memory, coming from the Western side of Berlin. I'm sure things have changes a lot there now.

Best Regards, Tom

Tom Colitt

n/a

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2005, 23:43:43 »
Don't know if this helps, but here's what I did.  My '67 230 is red with an all black interior.  Mine were all crinkly; I looked into buying new ones and the price was outrageous.  I took them to an upholstry/vinyl shop--one that I had used before and knows/works on German cars--and they put new padding in and replaced and sewed the vinyl for, I don't remember, maybe around $30.  They had several different black vinyls there in the shop and I was able to choose the same color and grain.  I realize there are folks who want original everything, but that's usually not me... and mine were black and that's what I wanted.