Author Topic: Red '65 230 SL Currently on Bring a Trailer - Body and Paint Number Plate  (Read 736 times)

MOliverMc

• Junior Level
  • USA, CT, Norwalk
  • SHADY
Hello Pagoda SL Group..  There is currently a red '65 230 SL being auctioned on Bring a Trailer.  The description indicates that the car was originally beige and was repainted in red.  There does not appear to be a data card.  Here is a link:  https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-mercedes-benz-230sl-54/

I believe the attached photo is the body and paint number plate but I am unsure if I am interpreting it correctly. 

Does the first line indicate body paint color 412 Glasurit and hardtop/hub cap color 408 also Glasurit?  I believe the 5 on the end indicates that it was delivered with a hardtop mounted on the car and no soft top, although it would still have the soft top storage compartment.

If 412 & 408 are the paint numbers, I am further confused because I cannot find 412 on the list of paint color codes.  Does anyone know what it would be?  408 is Havana Brown.

The second line indicated the first 8 numbers of the VIN and the 2 on the end indicates the country code for Germany, correct?  I think line 3 contains the production number and body number.

My interest is academic only -I have had my W113 for less than a year and I'm excited to learn as much as I can.  I have no plans to bid on this car, and I wouldn't want to disturb the seller or any bidders. 

However, it seems like a strange listing to me.  In my mind, it seems crazy not to acquire a data card prior to listing one of these cars.  There is also a shortage of reliable information regarding the mechanical and physical condition of the car.  The seller has not responded to most questions in the comments section either. 

It looks like it could be made into an excellent example, but it is very unclear how much would be needed.  I don't expect bidders will go too high with that uncertainty. 

I would love to hear what some of the more experienced members of the forum think, thank you!

« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 16:47:09 by MOliverMc »

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
Hello, this was discussed recently, the colour seemed to have been a special order, the data card would confirm this

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=37430.msg273681
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

MOliverMc

• Junior Level
  • USA, CT, Norwalk
  • SHADY
Thanks for redirecting me, Bob - that is exactly the conversation I was looking for!