Author Topic: Spring refresh  (Read 1182 times)

russelljones48

• Senior
  • USA, NC, Mooresville
Spring refresh
« on: November 22, 2021, 13:54:43 »
No, I'm not jumping the seasonal gun.  However, I do want to see if I can get some newer tips as to sources for replacement springs and perhaps some more experiences from those who have replaced springs recently.  My goals are to have the suspension completely refreshed this winter and to make mild improvements in the vehicle's handing.  I would like to decrease the amount of "dive" during braking, make the steering and body motions more precise and to lessen body roll.  To that end.

I will have the body and engine mounts replaced, my car has the larger sway bar and those bushings will be replaced with new urethane bushings.  King pins will be redone and any other bearings, tie rod ends and other suspension components that need replacement will be addressed.
Now to the heart of the matter.  Springs: John Olsen has not been responsive or I would just order his "progressive" spring set and save us all of this bother.  But he hasn't and I've read through most or all of the spring wisdom on our boards.  It's a bit dated, hence this post.

I'm not an engineer but have access to some expert help and can get springs tested so I can compare to MB specs and verify newly purchased springs.  Lastly, the compensator spring will probably need replacement as well and I may wish to add a bit of negative camber to the car possibly lower it a bit to lower the roll center. 

All of this will be reversible as I have no wish to alter the car but would like to make it handle a bit better and make it a bit safer for modern speeds and roads..

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Spring refresh
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 14:41:41 »
John Olson can be a bit challenging to get a hold of. Rather than email, phone calls may work.
He does travel outside the country a bit, and in past years, has been away for months at a time, even in winter.

You can try calling him at 612-377-0155

When he was publishing the "SL Market Letter" some years back there was a time when he had a protege that was going to take over. For complex reasons, it never happened. But, he may be able to help you in the spring department, so it's worth a call. His hame is Dave Tobin and he can be reached at 651-216-1265. Dave now runs Tobin Motor Works and DaveKnowsCars.

If you strike out there, I'd start calling the usual gang of suspects for advice: Gernold at SL Tech, Brian Peters at Motoring Investments.

Might not hurt to also contact Jim Villers a member here who has a solid engineering perspective on many things on our cars.

As you probably know there's no shortage of firms (yes, probably a bunch here in NASCAR land) that can make springs. But they do need some data on them beyond size.

Good luck, and whatever you do come back and post your research and finding results so others can benefit.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 18:30:35 »
I installed Eibach springs but unfortunately cant find my record of purchase. Will keep looking but I see Summit Point Racing sells them. You could try calling them and see if they can ID the correct spring.

I only put them on the front and car is not finished so not sure if I'm going to like them or not. I also installed Koni adjustable shocks. Both designed to reduce or eliminate nose dive
Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC

russelljones48

• Senior
  • USA, NC, Mooresville
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 13:41:17 »
Thanks guys.  I'll continue to try and reach Olsen and/or his protege..  And I've already started to look for other spring sources..  either custom or aftermarket.  The Eibach number that's been mentioned in other posts is: Eibach 1500.500.0300 5 x 15 Rear Racing Coil Spring 300 lb Rate (from Speedway Motors and/or Summitracing).  About $75 per spring which seem to be the going rate for specialized aftermarket springs.  Moog has some that are close and a bit more reasonable but close is only good for horseshoes not springs.  I will call their tech number and see if I can get a more exact fit.   Eibach has a PDF for the part numbers that can be downloaded.   

I will certainly post results from my/our research and results as we make changes. 

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 18:53:45 »
Speedway Motors sounds familiar - likely the source for mine. I have tried to save every receipt for my restoration but still am not seeing the receipt for the springs.
Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 21:19:13 »
$75 per spring seems to be a very reasonable price. The Olson springs will cost a bit more than that for sure. I want to say I paid over $100 per spring more than 20 years ago for OEM…
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid