Author Topic: temp. gauge - temp. deviation  (Read 2072 times)

Peter

• Silver
  • Netherlands, North Brabant, Helmond
temp. gauge - temp. deviation
« on: November 05, 2021, 21:40:39 »
My temp. gauge broke and I bought, sending in my old one, an overhauled  gauge made as new.

Before building-in I checked the overhaul quality.
1.   What do you thing, especially around 80 ⁰C the deviation is 5,1 ⁰C, is this normal or a bit high.
2.   Is it possible to calibrate this device

Thanks for your view

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Re: temp. gauge - temp. deviation
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 22:27:16 »
I think I remember form school, 35-40 years ago, that part of the standard measurement error is the error you make while reading the scale. Clearly it is around 5 degrees if not more in case of the gauges in our cars...

Then comes the error related to the precision of the instruments - feeler and gauge.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Peter

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 09:08:38 »
Is there a possibility to calibrate/adjust the mechanism?

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 12:06:58 »
Luck of the draw in mixing and matching components and with rebuilds. Looks like you were lucky. Worry about something else.

Peter

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 13:01:16 »
In my view is the deviation (5,1 ⁰C) at the most important point which is 80 ⁰C (176 F) too big and also for MB in the sixties not acceptable.

So the question stays: can the mechanism be calibrated/adjusted?

Peter

MarkCan

• Silver
  • Canada, Ontario, Mississauga
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 17:02:54 »
So the question stays: can the mechanism be calibrated/adjusted?
Peter
Yes, it can be done. It will be time consuming and not necessarily cost effective.

The refurbished unit you have received is probably performing on par with the manufacturer expectations. Pawel brought up 2 very important points here;
1. part of the standard measurement error is the error you make while reading the scale.
2. Then comes the error related to the precision of the instruments.
I would like to touch on the second point. General use electronic components will hover in 5 to 10% tolerance. To dip down to 1% it will easily double your cost. Than we can also find extreme application components still cut those tolerances in half. They are not cheap and from the business point of view almost impossible to justify. Since we are referencing our analog reading against the partial scale the final outcome is the personal interpretation of the person reading it.
Next comes the tolerance of the testing equipment used. Personally I own 4 temp tester and they all perform well in their respective tasks. Now if I was to take them out of their preferred range the reading results would become less accurate. What I’m getting at here is the application limitations. As you already noticed your “error”  is much lower in the centre of the scale and that is directly related to the device range. Your mid scale will produce more linear and accurate results while extremes will lack that quality.
Testing equipment in that situation must be reference quality. We are trying to calibrate after all. Adjustments can be carried out with parallel resistance to move the flatter response up the scale.
If you want to do it just to see if you can do it. Sure knock yourself out.
If the claim of the most accurate gauge is your aim than forget it. You may have a fit after your best body tells you that it looks like your gauge is reading low.

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 18:41:57 »
Just a small note to add, is that this temp gauge is mechanical, not electronic/electrical (as far as I know), and calibrating it may not be possible, short of moving the needle mechanically on its post to read a bit different at the higher degree marks, where the accuracy is more important than in the mid or lower ranges (we want to know if the car starts to get towards the red).
So perhaps you can manipulate the gauge a bit, crudely, but that may not be a good idea. And, maybe (since I am just guessing at this) there is a possibility to properly calibrate/tune the gauge.
Of course we have to be very careful in handling this gauge as the capillary tube that forms a critical part of the whole thing must stay intact or we will have to have it rebuilt or replaced and start all over.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2021, 20:47:05 »
Rather than getting hung up on gauge accuracy, my recommendation would be to get used to what is normal for your car. If it normally indicates 85 degrees then worry about it if it starts to read 95 degrees.

Peter

• Silver
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 20:39:02 »
Thanks for the advice.

Quality and originality are important to me.

I got a NOS and checked the MB quality.
Not bad!

Now I don't have to keep remembering that it's 5⁰C off.  :)

Peter

Peter

• Silver
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 20:40:07 »
The test