Author Topic: 230SL radiator fan position  (Read 1241 times)

MarkCan

• Silver
  • Canada, Ontario, Mississauga
230SL radiator fan position
« on: October 29, 2021, 01:14:34 »
Hi guys,
I got some pulleys refinished and ready to install. I could do with some help on proper position of the radiator fan. I look through some diagrams but my measurements don’t add up. I can’t compare it to my 280 because that one has the viscous clutch.
Now, what I would like to know is,
How far of the of the water pump pulley should the fan be sitting?
Not only to allow proper clearance for the crankshaft pulleys but also to account for the fan flex.
88mm is the pump height and that gives me perfect pulley alignment for the drive belt.
I got the spacer to go on top but I definitely need to make the new one as there is hardly any clearance at the moment.
See attached.

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
Re: 230SL radiator fan position
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 01:51:03 »
Mark,
Not sure I understand your question but the damper pulley groove is fixed and will give the correct location for the water pump pulley and the alternator pulley. The water pump pulley (in my case) has no spacer and mounts direct to the water pump. The fan (230) has a spacer that moves it out. Approx 39mm face to face.
What changed from your previous set up?
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

MarkCan

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 02:13:18 »
Mark,
Not sure I understand your question but the damper pulley groove is fixed and will give the correct location for the water pump pulley and the alternator pulley. The water pump pulley (in my case) has no spacer and mounts direct to the water pump. The fan (230) has a spacer that moves it out. Approx 39mm face to face.
What changed from your previous set up?
Absolutely correct! All of it.
That’s the information I was looking for. Size of the fan spacer. I’ll rig up the 39mm stand-off and report back.
I never got all the parts with the project car I have so I keep on hitting road blocks here and there.
Thank you for your help.

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 02:20:56 »
Ok,
Let me know if you need any dimensions
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

MarkCan

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 15:45:19 »
Thank you Dirk.
Machine time is at premium now so it looks like I want have the piece made until Wednesday. Hopefully my tensioner and few other bits are ready for pickup from plating by than.

MarkCan

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 22:14:38 »
Thanks again Dirk. The pic you posted was very helpful. I picked up my new spacer  today. The one I had was 25mm short.

MarkCan

• Silver
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2021, 02:51:18 »
Fan fits well, pulley is in perfect alignment and there is plenty of room at the bottom.
Spacer is 40mm tall.