Author Topic: 230 SL brake reservoir mounting kit  (Read 1142 times)

EdwardBernard

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • Canada, AB, Edmonton
230 SL brake reservoir mounting kit
« on: October 21, 2021, 23:35:03 »
Hello, I have a brake reservoir mounting kit and I can't fathom how the thinner, longer rubber grommet (middle, top of picture) is supposed to fit into the front port of the master cylinder. I've reviewed schematic diagrams (which are not that great, in my experience) to to avail. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks, Bill in Edmonton

Bill Leddy, Edmonton, AB, Canada
1964 230 SL, red, manual, ps

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Re: 230 SL brake reservoir mounting kit
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 06:24:50 »
I am not that familiar with the early master cylinders, but when you take a look here, it is maybe "either or" arrangement: up to 11.67 and as of 11.67.

https://www.sls-hh-shop.de/main/en/mercedes-230-280sl-w113-/42-brakes/43-mastercylinder
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

lgarret

• Junior Level
  • USA, WA, Kent
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 16:29:27 »
edwardbernard, I too had this issue and ended up calling buds Benz for the answer, and that being it fits as it seems upside down, you need to force or push the big end into the smaller master cylinder hole and the narrow longer end goes over the nipple of the tank.
hope that makes some sense   
Lance

65 230sl automatic us
568 signal red

EdwardBernard

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • Canada, AB, Edmonton
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 23:58:50 »
Hello lgarret, thanks for the suggestion. You are referring for sure to the front section of the master cylinder?

I know that the larger, fatter grommet pictured above fits nicely into the rear opening of the master cylinder, and the "spout" opening at the rear of the reservoir passes through it.

At the front master cylinder, there is a hole where the banjo bolt threads in, and a place for the small o-ring to fit, but the banjo bolt is too thick to pass through the narrow hole in the thinner rubber grommet. 

lgarret

• Junior Level
  • USA, WA, Kent
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 03:03:39 »
sorry Edwardbernard, I may have misunderstood your question.
so with mine I got only the 2 rubber parts. from your picture of parts the middle rubber, smaller one goes on the nipple in the back and big end into master cylinder.
the front opening on the master only has the oring on the bottom with the banjo bolt thru that.
here are a couple pics of mine as I installed it.

Lance
Lance

65 230sl automatic us
568 signal red

EdwardBernard

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • Canada, AB, Edmonton
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 15:22:51 »
Hello Lance, thanks for getting back to me with that explanation. And the photos-- they always help tremendously! I think I'll go ahead and just use that o-ring at the front. If yours worked with no leaks, then mine should too, fingers crossed...  ;)