Author Topic: Complete Brake replacement and AC replacement repair job for 1970 280SL  (Read 12141 times)

CromeYellow

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • USA, CA, Southern California
You mean the exterior body paint?

It took about nine months to do all the mechanical and rebuild the engine.  (Keep in mind that the first two mechanics had done little or nothing, and the car was returned from the first mechanic with parts missing, in inoperable condition.)  Actually a year, because after he was done I was busy and couldn't get to the car for a while and mechanic kept it stored, inside, as a favor.  That's another thing I like about this third mechanic who completed the job and did it right - is that he has kept the car inside at all times, including waiting for me on my schedule, without extra charge or complaint.

Mechanical first, then cosmetic restoration.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 19:46:56 by CromeYellow »

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Forgive me. I live somewhere where cars rust, where, if there’s no rust you’ve clearly not yet looked hard enough. So painting the body without addressing any hidden tin-worm is futile.
Sounds like you’ve got this
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

johnk

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Avon
The pictures may be deceiving and I could be wrong but is that a rust hole filled with caulk on the forward seam of the driver side floor panel just left of the frame rail? I know that’s a common rust area and the caulk/dark around it just looks different.
John Krystowski
Avon Ohio
1968 Euro 280sl under restoration
2016 Jag F-Type R sold june 2021
1950 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS For sale
2008 E350
2007 GL 450
2019 BMW 540

CromeYellow

• Associate Member
  • Regular
There is a little soot on the undercoating / thick oil based paint in one picture.  Just soot, I wiped it off with my finger.

I noticed that the black paint in a couple of spots under the car on some pieces needed another coat.  I pointed this out to him when I was under the car.

Not aware of any rust.

In any case, the mechanic is also a body shop (which is why he was able to handle re-coating the underside, and repainting the underside and inside of engine compartment after removing the engine and all parts, in addition to the mechanical work). 
He has done repainting and body work on a couple of my cars in the past.  Not concours d'elegance level work, but great work.

For my car he will be doing concours d'elegance level work.  He painted a 1950s two-tone Chevrolet in complete Concours d'Elegance level work for one of the actors in the Fast and the Furious series some years ago, which included a lot of chrome replacement.

From what I understand, it's not just about whether the chrome is okay now - which most of it is, some of it isn't - he says that after removing it for the paint job, it will become evident whether it needs to be replaced.  Same with for example the trim, such as around the window - the chrome looks fine, but the trim underneath has to be replaced.  After all of it is removed, we hope the chrome will be fine and able to be reinstalled - if not, some must be replaced.

He will also supervise all of the upholstery / carpet / interior work and the car will not leave his shop, that way he remains responsible for everything.

I still haven't decided whether to install an original Becker radio and speakers or just pull all of that and install a "280 SL" plate and no radio at all.  I suppose at this point might as well spend the money and install all original.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 20:39:11 by CromeYellow »

CromeYellow

• Associate Member
  • Regular
Still in the repainting exterior / interior restoration phase.

CromeYellow

• Associate Member
  • Regular
Getting close. Still a couple more months of work to do on the restoration.

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Looking great, I bet you can't wait to drive it again!
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II