Author Topic: AC Condenser install  (Read 1492 times)

edwardburak@erols.com

• Regular
  • USA, VA, Marshall
AC Condenser install
« on: September 27, 2021, 15:33:42 »
I bought an aftermarket AC unit from Bud's Benz with condenser, compressor, lines, and interior unit.

Has anyone installed this system before?

I have already mounted the compressor and adaptor plate.

In the instructions, it says the condenser mounts in front of the radiator but to the chassis, not to the radiator. I was considering brackets that tie into the radiator mounting holes. Does anyone have pictures of how you mounted it? 

Any other tips?
thanks

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: AC Condenser install
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 03:48:48 »
Mine is a 280 which is different because of the oil cooler.  Regardless, I can offer some advice.  If you measure between the mounts for the radiator on the chassis and the radiator end to end you may find there isn't enough room to fit brackets as you described.  I remember the mounts being very tight to the radiator.  I made small "L" brackets and welded them to the side of the radiator.  If you look in the technical manual under AC there is an installation manual that shows this style of mounting.  In the manual the mounts are screwed to the radiator sides.  You need to keep the condenser as low as possible otherwise when you open the hood it will run into the condenser.  I made that mistake and ended up having to take it all back apart again and remake the mounts.  You also need to keep it very tight to the radiator.  There is precious little room up in front of the radiator and I ended up having to slightly trim the grill louvers to get clearance.

I am sure you were just mocking up but wanted to offer that the larger fitting on the condenser should be at the top.  Hot gas enters at the top and liquid exits at the bottom through the smaller fitting.  That way you get a steady stream of liquid without bubbles.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 03:55:20 by Shvegel »

edwardburak@erols.com

• Regular
  • USA, VA, Marshall
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 12:17:31 »
Ok, thank you for the advice, I have studied both the OEM dealer-installed AC installation instructions (in technical manual) and the instructions in my new aftermarket AC system from BUD's BENZ. I will use details from both instructions.
thanks

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 03:26:05 »
Edward, doing the same thing. Buds AC kit. Their manual and some of their supplied parts are questionable imo.
I am "dry fitting" the unit as we speak.
@ Pat, how low is low? if I go any lower that the pic shown I run into interference wit the lower tube / fitting. Do you have a pic of yours by any chance?

Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 08:38:57 »
It looks like you are about right.  I'll be in the garage in the morning (Convertible top week!).  I'll take a couple pictures and measurements. My condenser was not quite the same.  The lower fitting was straight out the side and I was able to snake the hose through the factory hole in the apron and bend an elbow fitting to make the connection.

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 21:13:09 »
Tough to get any meaningful photographs.  My condenser is 1” below the seam where the top tank of the radiator is soldered to the core.  This also corresponds to the height of the factory condenser. With mine set there I get minimum hood opening with the hold open rod adjusted as far as I can.

I also had to slightly trim the black part of the grill.

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 21:26:39 »
Pat,
Thanks a lot.
I will have to go lower somehow and eventually put the hood on to verify. I am glad you brought it up.

Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI