Author Topic: FRONT SHOCK ABSORBER / LOWER CONTROL ARM  (Read 1849 times)

TOM250SL

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, IL, Chicago
FRONT SHOCK ABSORBER / LOWER CONTROL ARM
« on: August 16, 2021, 02:44:38 »
Had some bad luck today in an encounter with a pothole.  I seemed to have sheared/broke one of the mounting plate/brackets where the the front passenger shock absorber bottom attaches to the lower control arm (see pics).  Not sure if the underside bolt came loose first and then it just stressed over time and broke, or if it simply sheared off all of the sudden. Anyone ever encounter this and is it terribly serious/challenging to fix?

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
Re: FRONT SHOCK ABSORBER / LOWER CONTROL ARM
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 04:54:52 »
If your control arm is not bent ( I do not know how to check) , you can easily replace the shocks as the broken bracket and bolt are part of the Shock assembly.   See the photo.   

Also, original shocks are date-coded and your photo seems to show a date of "66" - if your car is an early 250, these might be original shocks?   Mine were original to the car and when I changed them (all 4) the driving was vastly improved.

250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 05:34:45 »
If you are bent (pun intended) on originality you should be able to have the bracket welded. But I would follow Oz' advice and get new shocks if these are that old!
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

TOM250SL

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, IL, Chicago
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 13:18:24 »
Wow I didn't even see the stamped "66" on them.  I had the rear shocks replaced recently and definitely agree if these are original it's time to replace them.  Also didn't realize the attachment bracket was part of the shock - that's good news to me.  And no, I don't believe the control arm is bent, so perhaps this will be a fairly simple repair.  Thanks  for your input kampala and cees!