Author Topic: Horizontal Chrome Rail along the bottom of the hardtop quarter window  (Read 1577 times)

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
When reassembling the hardtop, is there any reason to use sealer when installing the chrome horizontal rail (#13) at the bottom of the quarter windows?  From the top view, the rail joint with the hardtop is covered and protected by the lip on the lower outer part of the quarter window seal.  From the bottom, the chrome rail is screwed or riveted to the underside of the hardtop.  I suppose it is possible for water to enter at the front or rear of the chrome rail, but I can find no trace of any old sealer on my original pieces.

Am I missing an opportunity if I install it without sealer?

Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
Tom,
No sealer there, just like you said with the rubber lip of the seal fitting over the trim piece.
No rivets, small chrome phillips screws like the door chrome trim.  Make sure all is protected by primer and paint.
Walter

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
Thanks Walter.  I'll use screws, though I would rather rivet them.  One of the three holes was stripped and needs a bigger screw, but the countersunk head of the bigger screw is too big.  I'll just have to open up the countersink hole in the chrome piece so it sits deeper.  Not really a problem.

Thanks for the information.

Tom Kizer
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 18:24:17 by Tomnistuff »
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)