Author Topic: Looking for a Pagoda - Driver - and getting back on track.  (Read 2298 times)

1000nutsnbolts

• Regular
  • USA, NH, North Hampton
  • Trying to get it right.
Looking for a Pagoda - Driver - and getting back on track.
« on: September 03, 2021, 15:46:57 »

I learned a lesson, and I want to put it to use.

A year ago, I bought a 1970 SL on BaT. A horrible experience. I thought I was buying a solid driver. But when the car was delivered it turned out to be a project.

After struggling for months and engaging local MB mechanics, I came to my senses. I am 65 and I don't have the time for another year of working through issues.

So I sold the car, took my lumps, and now I am moving on.

After wrenching, researching, and meeting some great folks (many here in the Pagoda SL Group), I have decided that I am not turning my back on the education. I want to try again. I like the car.

If you're thinking of selling your Pagoda, please contact me. I am looking for a keeper. A driver. NOT a Project. Not a stunning show winner. Just a good, solid, original driver.

230's are good, 280's preferred. I don't know much about the 250.

I just want to drive and enjoy the car. I want to be able to get in and go 150 miles with confidence.

I am a reasonable person and get along with just about everyone. Contact me via PM, or my e-mail:    ibex-engr@comcast.net

I am in New Hampshire and will come to see your offering.
Regards,
Tom

1970 280SL

68_white

• Senior
  • USA, TX, Houston
Re: Looking for a Pagoda - Driver - and getting back on track.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 05:22:49 »
I wonder if BAT provides a way for a buyer to comment after receiving the won car.
HARRY

1970 280SL RED
2002 E430 SILVER
1996 911 BLUE

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 14:30:47 »
I wonder if BAT provides a way for a buyer to comment after receiving the won car.
You can comment on auctions after they have ended.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 14:46:45 »
Don't always blame the auction or seller (I'm not saying you did, speaking generally).  Auctions are caveat emptor, buyer beware.  Photographs make bad cars look good and good cars not as good as in person.  I will always turn the light back on a disgruntled buyer if they did not personally inspect and drive the car or have someone they know or trust who speaks the same pre-purchase inspection language, that is, is my nice the same as your nice.

If you didn't inspect the car you ultimately rejected, don't make the same mistake twice, or, know the risk you take.
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 00:17:22 »
I learned a lesson, and I want to put it to use.

A year ago, I bought a 1970 SL on BaT. A horrible experience. I thought I was buying a solid driver. But when the car was delivered it turned out to be a project.

After struggling for months and engaging local MB mechanics, I came to my senses. I am 65 and I don't have the time for another year of working through issues.

So I sold the car, took my lumps, and now I am moving on.

After wrenching, researching, and meeting some great folks (many here in the Pagoda SL Group), I have decided that I am not turning my back on the education. I want to try again. I like the car.

If you're thinking of selling your Pagoda, please contact me. I am looking for a keeper. A driver. NOT a Project. Not a stunning show winner. Just a good, solid, original driver.

230's are good, 280's preferred. I don't know much about the 250.

I just want to drive and enjoy the car. I want to be able to get in and go 150 miles with confidence.

I am a reasonable person and get along with just about everyone. Contact me via PM, or my e-mail:    ibex-engr@comcast.net

I am in New Hampshire and will come to see your offering.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.  I went back and had another look at the pictures and watched the videos and read some of the comments.  Based on what was presented it seemed like a decent driver as you expected. 

For the sake of myself and no doubt others, what exactly was the issue or issues you were having with the car?

Good to here you are not giving up because these cars a fantastic cruisers, for any distance.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed