Author Topic: Internal Colour Contrasts  (Read 1663 times)

Trevor123

Internal Colour Contrasts
« on: July 09, 2021, 17:00:07 »
Hi All

I’m currently going through with the purchase of a 230sl in Tunis Beige. The internal colour is black, and I am seriously considering a full internal colour change. Currently considering Cognac. Can anyone advise what colour combinations the Tunis Beige came in as I’ve seen images of black, brown, cognac and parchment. Would like to go down the authentic colour choice route if possible.

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
Re: Internal Colour Contrasts
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 22:27:21 »
In the Tech Manual there a specific section on colour code combinations under the data card area.

https://www.sl113.org/wiki/DataCard/RecommendedCombinations
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 23:18:15 »

Can anyone advise what colour combinations the Tunis Beige came in as I’ve seen images of black, brown, cognac and parchment.

Hello Trevor,
As you can see from the charts which Garry is referring to, luckily all selected interior colors were available with Tunis beige 462. Basically, it is a matter of personal taste. One of our founding members here, Tom Sargeant's car, is 462 with black leather - very nice. But all the other above mentioned interior colors were also not uncommon with 462.

Depending on how bad your current interior is, I would advise against a rapid change. If you newly buy an (antique) car like ours, there are many more important things to do than first settle the visual things that you may not like so much on the first glance. Instead, it is utmost mandatory to get the car sorted out first. You can always change your interior later but if your car runs tatty, even a brand new interior can't help you on that.
Don't spend all the left-over money you have after the purchase in immediate visual things: new paint, new chrome, new softtop canvas and new interior. You are easily spending 30 Grand on this and the car will surely look great but still the car can run poorly. Only to find out there's no money left for the mechanics....
Do the essentials first.

Just my 2 cents....

Achim
Achim
(Germany)

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 02:42:36 »
Speaking from very recent experience, I have to agree 100% with Achim.  I was given my dad’s ‘71 pagoda.  Even though it has low mileage and mechanically had been maintained, it sat undriven for nearly six years.  Sorting out brakes, transmission, steering, tires, etc all needed to be addressed before cosmetics.

Now that the car is running as it was engineered, it’s time to address the interior and paint job.  I've decided to only make changes when absolutely necessary and I’m attempting to preserve rather than change or restore.  That’s a change from my original thinking and is in large part due to the advice I’ve been given by others far more knowledgeable than myself.  You may end up feeling the same way. 

~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)