Author Topic: Recalibration  (Read 7047 times)

AGT

• Senior
  • Scotland, Midlothian, Edinburgh
Re: Recalibration
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2021, 08:25:52 »
Ray

Colin installed the Getrag in my car in 2015.  My car is French registered (CH-692-LP) if Colin needs to dig out the paperwork for what was done.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

1966 230SL

RAY

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Bromley
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2021, 17:34:29 »
Hi WRe,
I enquired after a refurbished LHD speedo for sale at Vintage Euro Parts and they checked the numbers on the back and it reads W1520.

So they don't correspond with the 'WEGSTRECKENZAHL' numbers suggested by yourself.

Any ideas ?

mnahon

• Silver
  • Canada, QC, Montreal
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2021, 12:40:50 »
I expect that the W numbers that WRe gave are for a km/hr speedometer; i.e. the number of cable turns per km travelled. The speedometer at VEP is probably in mi/hr; so would be stamped with number of cable turns per mile travelled.

If that assumption is right, then the VEP speedometer would correspond to a 4.08 rear end, according to WRe's numbers, because 1520 X 0.6214 = 945 (where 0.6214 is the number of miles in a km)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 13:09:14 by mnahon »
Meyer Nahon
Montreal, Canada
1968 MB 280SL Auto Euro LHD Silver
2021 Tesla Model 3

yves

• Silver
  • France, Poitou-Charentes, LA ROCHELLE
  • Happy owner of a 69/ 280 sl , 63 Etype ,55 XK 140
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2021, 16:05:57 »
I had two speedo adjusted by a belgium guy one for the pagode and it was  calibrated by grindind some magnetic block slowly with trials after measuring the distance after 50 wheel rounds and measuring how many turns on the propshaft….
The other speedo was for a jaguar and the adjustment went by stretching more or less a spiral spring  as he said but it seems still dtrange for me 🤔
Happy owner of a 69 blue 280SL ,  63 FHC  osb E-type , 55 FHC XK 140 to be restored...

RAY

• Silver
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2021, 17:19:52 »
Meyer, Good point, well made.

Thanks.

pagoden

• Senior
  • USA, MD, Silver Spring
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2021, 09:14:10 »
Don'tcha love that 3.46?  My '68/69 car came with a 4.08 and I couldn't get through some large intersections without shifting.  There are different tastes, of course -- as in motor oil and pizza -- but that 3.46 is just about right for me.

The "recalibration" needs to be rethunk from another direction, which will eliminate the odometer issue along with any need to mess about in the exotic innards of the speedo head.
Yes, there is a little box thang that does it for you: alters the rotational speed between cable drive output and speedo head input, giving you the appropriate input for distance and rate right at the speedo fitting behind your dashboard.  It's done with gear sets in a small gearbox inserted into your drive cable -- buy a nice new one to be so modified and give years of trouble-free service.  Have it mounted in the middle area of the cable so that it can benefit from the factory cable retainer there on one of the bellhousing boltsand locating it pretty much out of sight as well.
They used to be much more common but some old-school speedo shops still have the kits of various gears and the small gearcases to contain them.  (Joe has some of it somewhere but has a hard time locating it, and the go-to guy for that gizmo in North America passed on some years before my similar quest, leaving his son in the business of selling radioactive headlights and lacking headspace to even consider anything not using solid state electronics: total deadend there.

I got mine from Powl's Speedometer, 2340 Dairy Road, rural Lancaster PA.  www.powls-speedometer.com   (717) 898-2552, a small business in southeast Pennsylvania. 

You ought to be able to connect with someone closer than that, of course, and I did drive my car up to them, but it could easily be done remotely if everyone kept their heads.  My relevant diff ratios were 4.08 and 3.46.  This is a 15% reduction from the larger to the smaller.  The M-B TDM lays all those diff drive #s out so i could see that M-B chose their ratios in 5 and 10% increments -- which is how I arrived at the happy choice of my 3.46 diff in the first place--so as a customer I knew that I wanted the gizmo to give me rotational data input at the speedo exactly 15% less than the cable drive delivers out of the transmission.  So the speedo shop folks didn't have to go through all the road-testing and whatever other usual gyrations necessary to discover what needs to go into the little box.  And all I had to do was convince them to take my word for it: "15%".  And I relied on M-B to've given me an accurate speedo setup in the first place.  The resulting setup reads out more accurately than my ability to measure; that is, real-world performance is closer to GPS than I can differentiate with my poor equipment: it is 'spot-on' for our purposes.

I thought this was here in the Forum years ago; odd it doesn't come up in searches.  But then I once searched for "oil" in irritation and spite and got......no result. And it is a terrific resource the rest of the time, no argument there.

Possible web searches:      mileage settings        tachographs (?)      Their usual work is accurizing speedos to 0 error for biz & govt. 
It is, admittedly, another dying art.

All best all,
Denny
1968/69 280SL, just+100k mi, manual 4, 3.46, both tops, 717/904

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2021, 14:57:05 »

I thought this was here in the Forum years ago; odd it doesn't come up in searches.  But then I once searched for "oil" in irritation and spite and got......no result. And it is a terrific resource the rest of the time, no argument there.

Possible web searches:      mileage settings        tachographs (?)     
Remember where you are searching… if you are in a topic, and then use the Search box at the top of the page, you are only searching in that topic.

To search the whole forum, go to Home on the menu bar, and then use Search on the menu bar.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

RAY

• Silver
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2021, 17:28:00 »
Mine was exactly the same as your's Denny, 4.08 and as we do the most milage cruising rather than town driving the 3.46 is perfect I think ..... but I am looking to see if there is a way to get mine to pull away every time in first gear (automatically) which for some reason randomly it does anyway but with no warning, then I may consider fitting a 3.27.

Thanks for all the info, I did not realise just how 'exotic' the innards of our speedo's are until I started looking into this subject. Certainly would not want to take one apart myself, way above my skill set.

Best

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2021, 19:43:42 »
Ray
Is it worth asking Speedy Cables if they can do anything,
speedycables.com

I know they have done some cables for Pagodas.

Keep safe
Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

RAY

• Silver
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2021, 13:59:07 »
Hi Paul,

Yes they have done work for me in the past and I will possibly go back to them but at the moment, in reality, they are on a 4 month turnaround at best I believe !

yves

• Silver
  • France, Poitou-Charentes, LA ROCHELLE
  • Happy owner of a 69/ 280 sl , 63 Etype ,55 XK 140
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2021, 09:48:45 »
I have a rear axle stamped 3.25 .... it has been fitted by the PO  but i don't find any reference  about that ratio, is it a "american" ratio used there?
And of course my speedo is not accurate i read 110 when the GPS indicate 100 !
Happy owner of a 69 blue 280SL ,  63 FHC  osb E-type , 55 FHC XK 140 to be restored...

pagoden

• Senior
  • USA, MD, Silver Spring
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2021, 21:32:23 »
Yves,
In my experience the ratio is inscribed on a smooth-faced boss, low and forward on the left side of the differential case.  It is not stamped, not at all bold and appears hand-drawn in a rather elegant hand as though scratched by a fine-pointed sharp tool.  It can be quite plain once spotted but does not jump out at you from a 50-year old undercarriage. 

The M-B Technical Data Manuals I have are in English.  They do not list a differential ratio of 3.25 but do show the 3.27 ratio.

Peter,
Thanks. Your apparently ubiquitous overwatch is, well, comforting, and an incalculable contribution to the whole sl113.org effort.

Cheers,
Denny
1968/69 280SL, just+100k mi, manual 4, 3.46, both tops, 717/904