Author Topic: Blockley 185HR14 Tires - WW and BW  (Read 1578 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Blockley 185HR14 Tires - WW and BW
« on: May 05, 2021, 18:25:51 »
For those that don't know, my car has been sort of out of my hands for a long time.

After driving it to and from the PUB event in Virginia in September 2017, it went to winter in the Automotive Hall of Fame in Dearborn. While I brought it home for the 2018 season, I barely used it: the roads in Michigan and deteriorated to what would be called "dangerous" for collectible cars. In October 2018 it went back down to the AHOF to winter again. However, by spring of 2019 I was in the process of moving and left it there until October of 2019. At that point I drove it up to my trusty repair facility, and it's been there ever since. I have since moved twice: temporarily from the Detroit area to northern Michigan and finally a year ago to North Carolina.

Now, after 18 months of work, my hard top is restored, some other issues taken care of, and I decided to replace the now 15 year old Coker Phoenix, just because of age. The tires I have coming are the aforementioned Blockley 185HR14 in WW.

My goal is to give them a good go compared to the Cokers (which I liked). I also have been working with the owner of the firm, and we may be able to put together a special club price for SL113 group members. Tires are due in sometime before mid May, and I should have my car shipped to me in mid June. So if you are interested in "correct" tires for your car, have balked at Cokers because of their price (they were costly when I bought them and out of sight now), stay tuned--I'll be reporting back on their mounting, balancing on Hunter road force equipment and then my own impressions compared to the Cokers sometime in June or July.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
Re: Blockley 185HR14 Tires - WW and BW
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 18:39:54 »
Its interesting to see the Blockley website reiterating the conversation that you had with them looking for the right tires.   Well done.  Your efforts are appreciated. 

Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 11:38:23 »
Is possible to have blockely tires with no white walls but with the curb strip ?
Interesting to compare these tires with Michelin mxvp.
Mauro Pisani
250sl 1967 5speed zf manual

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 19:07:38 »
The last time I bought Blockleys that had a very small additional band where the rubbing strip wpould be on MXV-P but it was nowhere near as substantial. Has this changed?

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 14:02:59 »
The last time I bought Blockleys that had a very small additional band where the rubbing strip wpould be on MXV-P but it was nowhere near as substantial. Has this changed?

https://www.blockleytyre.com/product/185hr14-white-wall

I'll let you know when my tires arrive. The "rub strip" seems to be about the same size and about the same location as on the Cokers, which were to be a visual copy of the original Phoenix.

The rub strip is most decorative; it would have to stick out a bit beyond the wheel cover to be of much use, and if it did that it would be one funky looking tire.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 17:33:00 »
The rub strip is most decorative; it would have to stick out a bit beyond the wheel cover to be of much use, and if it did that it would be one funky looking tire.
Which is exactly what the original MXV-Ps have. The rub strip is proud of the tyre wall by some 3 or 4mm.