Author Topic: Collar for light switch- early 230SL  (Read 2575 times)

Merc_Girl

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, Godalming
Collar for light switch- early 230SL
« on: April 26, 2021, 22:11:01 »
Hi everyone

The chrome of the collar of the light switch is in a pretty poor condition and I wish to remove it to have it re-chromed

I saw somewhere that a similar question was asked and answered, however my one seems to have/also have a small retaining pin as well, copper perhaps

Before I go ahead and remove this, I wish to be sure I can get a replacement. Any ideas?

Thanks

230SL

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: Collar for light switch- early 230SL
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 22:25:34 »
The 4 holes on the retaining nut do not go through. Thus the pin in one of them is most likely a remnant of a previous attempt to unscrew it. These nuts can be be quite tight and difficult to turn without a proper tool.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 23:43:32 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 07:48:22 »
The 4 holes on the retaining nut do not go through. Thus the pin in one of them is most likely a remnant of a previous attempt to unscrew it. These nuts can be be quite tight and difficult to turn without a proper tool.

Hi 66andblue!

Do you happen to know what the tool is my chance? Are these grub screw, difficult to see due to position and corrosion 😔

Thank you
230SL

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 09:06:03 »
One thought there. This rosette is part number A1105450272, it is available and costs about GBP 10 at the MB dealers. I am stating that given the difficulty of detaching it in the current state and not being sure if re-chroming will be possible and if it is possible, how much would it be. You may end up damaging it while unscrewing (some WD 40 may come handy).

One thing I am not sure is if this rosette available at Mercedes is the same design with pin holes for screwing it on and out. In the SL shop, SLS and Niemoeller I see this rosette with split slot (like some other ones) and on the pictures you have it with pin holes. However: these other rosettes, with slots, have different part numbers. Also the part number of the rosette for light switch did not change since 230SL. Chances are it is the correct design, but there is no certainty. Definitely if you end up damaging the rosette or damaging the black plastic piece - they are available at Mercedes (black plastic is about GBP 1.5) and not very expensive. If it is the wrong design, you just screw it on to have it while looking for proper replacement.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 21:48:20 »
Hi Pawel66

I Googled the part number and it seemed to show the later version which has the slot on the top, as you say.

I’m afraid I am still a little confused over the pin holes. Is this just a design feature and the collar merely unscrews?

Do you know how the plastic switch bit can be removed. I tried pulling and then turning..... now discovered how to turn the fog lights on!!! 🤣

230SL

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 00:30:29 »
Katie,
had you eaten your Wheaties before you pulled on the switch?  :D
You have to really pull hart and straight out to get it off.
These pin holes are designed for a plier to turn/unscrew the collar/nut. Mercedes had a special tool that was never sold to the public but provided to its company workshops. I have seen a photo once but cannot find it anymore.
I have used really cheap snap ring pliers ($5 at Harbor Freight), heated the pin ends with a flame until red and then turned the ends so that the tips face each other.
I tried the straight ones in the middle first to practice bending when red hot and then used the ones that are angled as shown in the picture on the left.

All 230SL had the collar with the 4 pin holes (now NLA), 280SL have the slotted version (don't know what is on the 250SLs).
I doubt you will be able rescue the one your car, thus you might as well use vise grips to get it off.
Go with the slotted version (Product No.: 254043: https://www.sls-hh-shop.de/main/en/mercedes-230-280sl-w113-/54-electrical-equipment-at-body/54-c-equipment-for-cable-harness) unless you insist on originality. If so, be prepared to pay $30 + shipping for a good used one.
When you have the switch out note how the sheet metal is bent inward (towards front of the car) with two cut-out notches. There are corresponding protrusions on the switch that fit into the notches and lock the switch in place providing the correct horizontal orientation of the knob. {Not sure whether the 280SL dashboard metal is similar}.

Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 05:47:03 »
As Alfred says, your collar may be difficult to salvage, that is why I wrote about the new ones as option.

I am afraid undoing your current one will require force. The biggest danger is scratching your dash. I would place masking tape around the collar of the switch to protect dash paint.

If not modified snap ring pliers, I would try two pins from opposite sides (e.g. nails) that would bent rather than break when force applied and try to turn them with regular pliers holding them perpendicular to dash and applying force to pins as close as possible to collar, or, as Alfred says, use vice grip.

What am i saying? You fixed the tank, so what do I know! Or you broke one?... whatever.

Application of penetrant like WD40 a day before may help. Again, watch out for the dash.

If plastic knob cracks on pulling it out because it is old - as i wrote before - no sweat, they are 1.5 quid at MB.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 05:54:21 »
Bicycle spoke may become a good pin or two if you cut it, I think.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 07:13:49 »
Thank you all for your advice

I think this may be a winter project for me as seems a lot of twiddling required 😁
230SL