Author Topic: Santa Ynez Valley  (Read 3156 times)

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
Santa Ynez Valley
« on: May 09, 2021, 16:36:35 »
In the Santa Ynez Valley (California) this week on a wine tour cruise with my brother in his '59 Porsche 356
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

Rothko

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, FL, Palm Beach
Re: Santa Ynez Valley
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 14:53:54 »
Absolutely stunning photos!   What a way to travel!

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 16:03:14 »
Very Nice

Sounds like a “sideways” kind of trip

https://youtu.be/RBzJR4Emxvo

This movie changed that region’s wine growing.  Quite impressive what one film can do.  It also made a generation rethink merlot.

I did a trip in that region with the pagoda but was with my young son so we did an airplane glider instead of wine. 

Enjoy

250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 17:14:34 »
 Great photos and must have been fun touring with your brother and his beautiful 356. We use to drive up to the Santa Ynez valley often in our Pagoda when we lived in So Cal. One of our favorite places was Mattie's Tavern in Los Olivos which was formerly a Stagecoach stop back in 1880's. Here is a photo of yours truly taken in 1976.

John
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 19:45:20 by 49er »
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 06:47:44 »
Looking at Gary's and John's photos brings back fond memories.
When I came to UC Santa Barbara in February 1969 I spent the first five months in a "non-traditional dorm"  ;) called Francisco Torres just outside the campus.
Across the hallway lived another German speaking fellow who was a professional pilot at Wien Airline in Alaska and attended a program at the nearby airport to gain his license to fly larger jets. Since I had a license to fly glider planes we talked a lot about flying and decided one weekend to get some flying time in a glider at the Santa Inez Valley airport. We were checked out in a Schweizer 2-seater - can't remember whether it was a 2-22 or 2-33 - and then came back once to fly solo - I wasn't too overwhelmed with the Schweizer SG1-26 plane.
However, the area's charm had its pull and my wife and I frequently drove up in our 1970 VW Cabrio, mostly to Solvang for real Danish pastries or to Buellton to watch HAP-PEA and PAE-WEE splitting peas.  ;D
There were no open wineries up there yet, although a few ranchers had started growing grapes and sold the fruit or the pressed juice to wineries up north. One of them, Rancho Sisquoc (https://www.ranchosisquoc.com/pages/about-us) became our favorite spot when they opened up in the late 1970s and we were living in Orange County and here in Solana Beach. For my taste they made the only acceptable Riesling and Silvaner in California.

Indeed the region has changed a lot since then and the movie "Sideways" shows quite vividly what it looked like in 2004. But IMO the major changes in landscape and in character were wrought by Jess Jackson (of Kendall-Jackson Chardonnay fame) and the fraudulent Charles Banks, the later owner of Mattei's Tavern (https://syvnews.com/lifestyles/wine/qupe-wines-and-mattei-s-tavern-owner-sentenced-to-four/article_be9f0780-b73f-5255-b865-8aa0103e161d.html).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 06:52:37 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 16:22:19 »
The Santa Ynez Valley has exploded since then.
There are now more than 120 wineries and upscale real estate developments popping up everywhere. Much controversy about the Fess Parker Estate selling 1,390 acre ranch property to the Chumash Indians in the area (2010), who are exempt from property development restrictions. Payback for us taking their land to begin with.
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 21:37:16 »
Well, I had to chime in after I read the Subject Heading for this thread. The Santa Ynez Valley is near and dear to my heart. My parents owned an 80 acre ranch on Roblar Avenue (we moved there from SB in 1971) and it was my childhood home from age 9 to 16, and then again off and on until we sold it in the late 80s to none other than Charlie (of Charlie's Angels fame). John Forsythe. Anyway, yes the place has really changed -- although Solvang remains fairly timeless, and certain elements of the SY I knew still exist more or less. Small-town feel. And yes it has become a major Wine region and the real estate has gone up considerably.

Now, to keep this semi-relevant: It was during this time that my 63 230SL joined the family -- and as a teenager I fell in love with driving it -- it was way more exhilarating to ride than my horse... I have a few stories I could tell about cruises on some of the scenic backroads... Somewhere, maybe there are some vintage photos like 49er's there but who knows where? Not in my possession -- but I have 6 siblings so you never know!

And then there is the photo of the Francisco Torres dorms in Isla Vista... I graduated from UCSB -- and while I didn't live in the dorms I have plenty of (hazy) memories. More good times and on the day I graduated I was officially tossed the keys to my Pagoda!

Thanks for the memories...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 21:41:56 by J. Huber »
James
63 230SL