Author Topic: WTB Pagoda for Elektro Conversion  (Read 2253 times)

NHNebeker

WTB Pagoda for Elektro Conversion
« on: April 21, 2021, 17:34:44 »
I'm looking to buy a Pagoda and convert it to an EV.  I've crossed the rubicon into electric, and want to bring one of what I consider the most beautiful cars made into the future.

I've been looking at Beverly Hills Car Club and Geevers for options, and there are some decent ones.

Any one else have other suggestions of where to look?  BaT has gone bananas IMO.

Of course I'd prefer to buy one from someone who has owned the car and knows it's story, even if I end up paying essentially the same price. 

Does anyone have a Pagoda with a ruined/marginal engine but clean body + interior that they would be willing to part with?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 20:57:37 by NHNebeker »

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
Re: Seeking comments on high volume classic dealers
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 18:47:26 »
I would tend to not go to any of the “high volume” dealers.  You’ll pay a premium and IMHO many of their cars have been detailed out to present well but may not be as original as you’d like and may have hidden rust.  I’m not familiar with the conversion of gasoline engines to battery powered vehicles but if that’s your intention, I might seek out a barn find with a frozen engine or clutch.  Those would be expensive items to repair or replace and you wouldn’t be using them anyway.  Hence you might find a reasonably priced one. Just be aware that rust can be a serious issue and can be expensive to repair. 

When the right car comes along, do us all a favor and document everything as it relates to this conversion.  If you can keep the outside and interior as stock as possible, I think most enthusiasts would be more accepting of a gasoline —> battery powered conversion.  But be aware that there are those purists who will not necessarily see the point. 
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
Re: Seeking comments on high volume classic dealers
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 19:58:39 »
I think you will find what you are looking for -- there are pagodas out there with mis-matched motors (non-mercedes) or complete non-runners.   

1. put a clean wanted add right here - simple and clean -  to the point.

2. check with    https://www.meritcars.org/     They occasionally have not-so-great pagodas.

3. check with     https://www.gullwingmotorcars.com/     they move a lot of cars - but seem better than BHCC.  Sign-up on their email feed - but you will have to act quickly when you see one - they cast a broad net.

Please advise if you get one and please make a thread so we can follow your evolution to electric.   

« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 23:53:06 by kampala »
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam