Author Topic: Have blue wire on rights side of transmission  (Read 1233 times)

CJHenderson

• Silver
  • USA, AR, Benton
Have blue wire on rights side of transmission
« on: April 29, 2021, 03:00:18 »
Have blue wire from right side of my transmission that appears to come from what looks like a pressure switch. I have looked at all of my photos but am unable to identify where it hooks up to.
1970 280SL/8 W113 101624 miles.
1950 MG-TD
2021 Harley Davidson CVO Trike

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
Re: Have blue wire on rights side of transmission
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 10:31:13 »
It's not factory.

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: Have blue wire on rights side of transmission
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 11:58:04 »
The wire was originally a cloth covered wire that loops over the transmission and attaches to the left side pressure switch.  the single wire from the same harness that connects the three position solenoid connects to the left switch as well. The switches are wired in parallel so either forward or reverse pressure switch active will provide a ground for the Constant Speed Solenoid (CSS).  There should be a bracket that retains the wire on the right and left side of the transmission within 2 or 3 inches of the pressure switch.  I have found a good source for cloth covered wire which is Lowbrow Customs in Ohio.

This shows the right side bracket is you scroll down below the cutaway trans pictures.
  https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Automatic/Start

I am pretty sure I have the brackets that you can have.  Unfortunately, I am at sea and away from home for the next month.

I think the full story of the blue wire is this.  The wire is crimped into the brackets and it is a very good point for the insulation to fail and short the wire to the bracket.  you can't really get the wires out easily so the "Mechanic" unbolted the brackets, pulled the wire out and simply stuffed a new wire over the top with no brackets.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 12:26:52 by Shvegel »